Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 06:32 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Alcatel A508DL. Can't download pictures to my computer/ First phone I ever had do this. I can download from other phones. When I hit "import pictures" it says "no new pictures were found" even though I just took some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 07:00 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Are you using the USB cable that came with the phone ? Some cheaper cables will only charge the phone and not support data transfers.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Are you using the USB cable that came with the phone ? Some cheaper cables will only charge the phone and not support data transfers.
Yes, I am using that one. It is the newer style and the only one I have that will fit this phone.
Contacted Alcatel, but they won't respond.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:28 PM

Guess I am out of luck. Alcatel said they can't help me. Total Wireless says they can't help either.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
If one thinks it is the cable that is the culprit, then make sure that the cable is a multi-purpose cable, meaning charge and data exchange. Do not go "cheap" on cables, else they go bad right at the connector end!

The cable is NOT [phone]-brand dependent, but connector dependent.

One end, the one that plugs into your computer should be USB 2.0 (black) or 3.0 (blue)
The end that plugs into your phone should be what it needs.

Next--- check the phone settings and make sure that when plugged into a computer for whatever reason, that the mode is set to whatever you need. Swipe down on 'screen' after connection to see what it is...

Most phones (depending on make and model) have these settings:
(whichever 'mode' you choose, it is always charging!)
- Transferring files
- USB Tethering
- MIDI
- Transferring images
- Charging phone only
- Software installation

Since a picture is also a file, you could use 'file transfer' or 'image transfer'.
So choose image transfer first.

So your phone may be set on "charging only"?

Old 01-21-2021, 11:50 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Is your phone set to tethering or mass storage? Could be number things, but your computer should be able to see nearly any phone as a mass storage device.

Here look at your manual:

I dont know what computer system you use, but honestly you shouldnt need windows media player to do this, any file manager should see the files and whatever image viewer you have installed open them.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:34 PM

The computer recognizes the phone, but the phone denies access. I had a local phone expert check it out and tell me it is defective, but can't get a refund.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:10 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
on my fone, i must tap on the drop-down display on the fone to allow for transfer to the p.c.:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cell...c-android.html

Old 01-25-2021, 08:30 AM

Finally found out what is wrong with it. When you plug in the cable a notification box is supposed to popup, giving the option to charge or download pictures. My phone has never had that box pop up. Went through permissions and apps, cannot find anything related to that. Going to see if they will honor the warranty. The way they have been, I doubt that they will. Avoid buying Alcatel phones, I will never buy another one. Saw a website last night with hundreds of complaints about defective Alcatel phones and the company not responding.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Finally found out what is wrong with it. When you plug in the cable a notification box is supposed to popup, giving the option to charge or download pictures. My phone has never had that box pop up. Went through permissions and apps, cannot find anything related to that. Going to see if they will honor the warranty. The way they have been, I doubt that they will. Avoid buying Alcatel phones, I will never buy another one. Saw a website last night with hundreds of complaints about defective Alcatel phones and the company not responding.
You can try something like this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

Here are a bunch more apps like that one.
https://play.google.com/store/search...hl=en_US&gl=US

or you can go to play store and search for 'USB settings'.

or try to enable developer options.

The wording may not be exact on this since it varies but

Go to settings, about phone, then tap repeatedly on Build Number or Serial Number (it varies) till you see a message at the bottom about developer options. Then tap back and you should see develop options. Under that screen you should see something like 'USB Computer Connection' or 'File transfer', MTP or PTP. I cannot give you specific instructions since it varies by manufacturer and Android version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones