Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:19 PM

5,393 posts, read 3,411,769 times

Advertisements

Google Play Music is moving to YouTube Music. Is this any good? Does it have to the same features as GPM?

Anyone have any aps they use that they like better than these 2 aps- YT Music and GPM?

I already have a library and i don't buy songs or pay a monthly fee to listen to songs that are not on my library.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 11:18 PM

8,286 posts, read 3,764,297 times
YouTube Music is good, but I wouldn't say it is the best. Spotify holds the lead. I personally prefer Tidal due to HiFi and master recordings.

YouTube Music is better than Google Play because you don't have to manage a library. The downside is that it renders your existing library useless.

Streaming is usually better unless you never want to purchase additional music (ie you don't want to expand your library).

That being said, you can import your music from CDs into iTunes the same way you can into Google Play Music. If you're doing a vinyl transfer, then you're out of luck.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:34 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,451,539 times
I got the notification for that a couple of days ago as well. Haven't tried YouTube Music yet.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 AM

6,407 posts, read 10,217,257 times
Personally, I like Pandora very much. I have used it since it was free and don't mind the minimal monthly fee that I pay. I feel their service suits my needs perfectly. The audio quality is excellent and the application is powerful and friendly IMHO.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,121,677 times
I have Amazon Music Unlimited HD, Google Play Music and SiriusXM streaming. Amazon I pay the "list" price for, Google Play Music is grandfathered in at the $7.99 a month + no ad YouTube, and I pay $5 a month for SXM (it's a 6 month promotion and I call and re-up at the same price every six months).

I will have to look into the YTM move shortly, better to do it now than at the last minute.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:16 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,239,228 times
It's being replaced by Youtube Music which does not seem to be as good.

Personally I have used the free music locker version for years and I will miss it. YTM does the same thing but so far I haven't been impressed.

I don't care for the paid version.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM

5,393 posts, read 3,411,769 times
I transferred my songs to YTM and am able to play them, they sound fine. I haven't used YTM much yet, but I liked being able to select an entire album on GPM to listen to. I have to believe YTM has the same functions, I'll just have to "play" around with it.

I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee, I only listen to music when I'm at the gym and what I have in my library is good enough. I really don't need to buy newer songs either. Years and years ago I downloaded all my CD's to my laptop and then to my phone and tablet, I don't want to have to do that again!

Thanks for the answers, I'll try to learn YTM since I use this in a limited capacity anyway!

Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 AM

16,475 posts, read 19,512,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Personally, I like Pandora very much. I have used it since it was free
It's still free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle
I really don't need to buy newer songs either.
Ugh.. pet peeve. People who think there's no good music anymore. I don't care how old you are, or the genre you like, there is still good music being made today. You shouldn't close yourself off to it. That's what Pandora is best at and it is free for the basic feature set.
Create an account, pick a few songs you like. Then you thumbs up or down what it plays. It starts to learn what you like and finds new music for you. I've found so much good stuff... new stuff... this way.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:27 AM

6,407 posts, read 10,217,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's still free.
Not the version I am running. The current free version will have occasional advertisements.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:34 AM

8,286 posts, read 3,764,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ugh.. pet peeve. People who think there's no good music anymore. I don't care how old you are, or the genre you like, there is still good music being made today. You shouldn't close yourself off to it. That's what Pandora is best at and it is free for the basic feature set.
Create an account, pick a few songs you like. Then you thumbs up or down what it plays. It starts to learn what you like and finds new music for you. I've found so much good stuff... new stuff... this way.
There's a difference between saying you don't want to buy new music and saying that there's no good music anymore. The OP never said the latter. You're projecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones