Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you replace your phone?
When a new model comes out 0 0%
6 months to a year 1 1.39%
1 - 2 years 4 5.56%
2 - 3 years 12 16.67%
4 years or more 28 38.89%
I keep it til it dies 27 37.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 02:52 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times

Advertisements

As it says, about how long on average do you keep your phones?

I used to hold onto mine until they died but with the rise of non-user-replaceable batteries and the obscene cost to do a battery swap on an older device, I usually upgrade once the battery will no longer make it beyond a few hours. Thankfully my iPhone 11 Pro Max can still make it through the day with 40-60% remaining but I'm a pretty light phone user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 05:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
As it says, about how long on average do you keep your phones?

I used to hold onto mine until they died but with the rise of non-user-replaceable batteries and the obscene cost to do a battery swap on an older device, I usually upgrade once the battery will no longer make it beyond a few hours. Thankfully my iPhone 11 Pro Max can still make it through the day with 40-60% remaining but I'm a pretty light phone user.
It is the same for me. Usually it is about 3 years. This one might be longer since I don’t go anywhere other than on occasional walks with the phone. I have an iPad too.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:50 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Still on my first phone, 8+ years!

It's a Samsung model SCH-R455C (Slider) that I bought at Walmart back in December 2012, when I was in my mid-30s, it's basically a Tracfone that piggybacks off of the Verizon towers, I pay $10.25 a month through Red Pocket for service.

I would honestly love to keep my phone for infinity, but sadly Verizon is slowly removing all of their 1x, 2x, 3x towers, so my phone will stop working eventually, but the good news is, they keep pushing that deadline back every year, it was supposed to be December 31st, 2019, then December 31st, 2020, now I think it's sometime in November 2021, when I might need to get a new phone.

I might switch to a 4x LTE flip phone then!

Old 02-14-2021, 08:02 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
I bought my first phone in 1983, when you were first allowed to buy a phone rather than rent it! It was beige and the first time they offered a color other than black! I kept that phone until 2014 when I decided to sell my house and move. My brother wanted it because it was "vintage" and might be able to sell it! (You do remember rotary phones ?)

I added a push button wall phone in the kitchen in the early 90"s. By 2000 I upgraded the kitchen phone to a push button phone with no cord!

In 2005 after a dangerous trip home at night after work on flooded roads - I finally decided to get a flip phone to carry with me for emergencies. After 13 years and using it maybe 3 times a year (due to hearing issues on a cell phone) - in 2017 I bought hearing aids that work with bluetooth and I upgraded to an iphone 7.

Next phone upgrade will most likely be when I need to buy new hearing aids and their app will not work on my present smartphone.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Me = 2-3+ years
Wife = under 2. She craves new iPhones.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I used to change frequently because phones kept getting better. The old nokia chocolate bar phones, flip phones, blackberry then smart phones. Now, I wait until the phone is no longer usable, which for me means Apple no longer supports the iphone version and it will not upgrade the OS anymore, and apps start to become non-functional.

My last phone was an Iphone 6, which I got just after it was released in 2014, and I replaced it a few months ago. I anticipate keeping my current phone for 5+ years.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:09 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I bought my first phone in 1983, when you were first allowed to buy a phone rather than rent it!
I am pretty sure that the topic is about cellular phones and not home phones.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Ive had my Samsung Galaxy for about 4 yrs now and I see no reason to buy another phone.

I hate it that all cell phones look exactly alike today! (I realize there are some that are larger in size, up to about 6" screen), but for the most part, they are all touchscreen rectangular phones.

I remember when cell phones first became popular, my wife and I were one of the first ones at our jobs at the time, to have cell phones, (the old Nokia phones), early 2000s, it wasnt long after, all sorts of different phones came to market, different sizes, shapes, colors, Blackberry types, flip phones, slider phones, etc.

Seems like we have sort of 'plateaued' with cell phones today, the new ones are not that much different than the previous model, (small changes).

Im waiting anxiously for the next BIG change in cell phones, for awhile they talked about 'foldable/flexible' smartphones, but Ive havent seen these come to fruition yet, in addition, holographic cell phones were said to be 'right around the corner'...but again, not seen any yet!

Old 02-14-2021, 11:35 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I am pretty sure that the topic is about cellular phones and not home phones.
Yes, but, when I first saw the title "how long do you keep your phones" - I did not realize it was in the "cell and smart phone" discussion group. (I spend too much time hanging out in the retirement forum!)

As you can see from my phones over the years - I don't adapt to new gadgets until I have a real need to do so.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:38 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
I tend to do what I do with lots of software (excluding Windows) -- buy new about once every other major upgrade. Bought the Pixel 2, then upgraded when along came Pixel 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones