Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times

Advertisements

I ran across somebody selling a dock with keyboard and screen that you plug phone in. Think it had to be relatively modern phone with special cable or something.

But then got to wondering free way to do this (no ads) on older non specialized phones. Ran across this: https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

I had no problem installing scrcpy, but my phone is older feature phone that uses a cut down version Android 4.4. Scrcpy needs minimum of Android 5.0, so didnt work. Hey it was worth a shot.

But anyway what it does is install on your computer, linux, mac, or windows. Enable adb debugging on phone. Nothing installs on the phone. And you use usb cable to connect phone to computer and the phone screen show large on the computer screen and you can use computer keyboard and mouse to manipulate it. Since I dont have new enough phone, cant say how well it works.

But it might be way to use older computer as interface for phone to do email, etc. FOR THOSE OF US WHOSE EYESIGHT DOESNT COOPERATE WITH SMALL SCREENS and those of us that prefer a real full size keyboard. Meaning an old computer might remote control a modern phone.... Its also an end run around tethering bans some companies have. You are doing internet via phone so meeting terms of service, you are just giving it a large screen/interface.

Now personally I dont like using Android, have played with it on large screen using an emulator. Its really designed for small touch screen, not for large screen using a mouse. But some useful apps like email and word processor and such should be usable. And if your computer had a touch screen, assume that would transfer too.

Now something else that might be interesting with this setup, I do remember there is a way to install linux on a non-rooted phone/tablet, it layers over Android as an "app". Though no doubt bit cumbersome and slow like this. But if you needed some particular non-Android software....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
you can buy a refurbished decent desktop for 150$ why bother except for tinkering?

Old 01-31-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
you can buy a refurbished decent desktop for 150$ why bother except for tinkering?

Its another option. For many elderly looking at a tiny screen and dealing with touch screen keyboard just isnt very pleasant. This solves that. Is it for everybody, nope, and guessing those that need it, probably too big of technological leap. But perhaps somebody could do it for them. Some elderly get stuck with latest greatest smart phone cause their adult children insist though they just want a phone, not a computer in their pocket. So this makes it bit easier if they use it.

Also some cell providers charge extra for tethering. If like me thats only way to get internet (in LOT RURAL AREAS), this lets you use your phone as a desktop without violating terms of service.

Would I do it for myself, nope, not for day to day use. Not unless I could no longer tether my computer to phone to share its internet. If phone is only internet and no tethering allowed, then this makes all sense in world.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

Also $150 is serious money for somebody on SS that only uses computer for email. I have seen refurb desktops with supposedly licensed win10, low as $80 but that doesnt include monitor, keyboard, mouse. Good older retired biz laptops used to be had low as around $25 on ebay, usually missing hard drive and power supply. But those take at least a modicum of skill to make usable. Prices have zoomed in pandemic, now they are trying to sell broken ancient junk upto $50 or $60 or higher. Stuff that should be give away or at most $10.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:35 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
My sister has a computer but uses her iphone for everything, she prefers it. And she is 75.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My sister has a computer but uses her iphone for everything, she prefers it. And she is 75.

More power to her. Eyesight and small screens does affect some us mere mortals.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:38 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
This is sort of Rube Goldberg-esq, IMO.

As powerful as phones have become, they are still much less powerful and more expensive than their desktop/laptop counterparts. You're paying extra for mobility and convenience.

And phone emulators or screen adaptors are not that uncommon - perhaps not on the retail market, but just every app developer or account rep that I've talked to in the last 15 or so years have been able to present their solutions in the board room projector via such solution. Again, it's obviously not a big enough issue/need outside of those that simply want to see it work.

Seriously - someone on fixed income but need connectivity? How about a used tablet? You're going to need a keyboard/Monitor regardless - so your point that used desktops don't come with keyboard/monitor doesn't change anything.

If you have an old phone and nothing else, you still need to come up with the other hardware.... aside from that, you can spend money on a desktop (or comparable solution), or the time (which is also money)/solution to connect your phone to your monitor... which is also likely going to be less stable.

Again - just my .02.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
For small screens, I use reading glasses. I am near-sighted (from age 21) but when corrected, I have presbyopia. Bad eye sight is not unique to older people and I am not young anyway.

I still prefer bigger screens and a keyboard and mouse. You can get a tablet and attach a screen and keyboard but then you are in the same price range of a refurbished desktop. Why bother with tablet or a phone for that matter unless you actually prefer a small device.

Fixed income but want a computer, look around. There are so many older PCs laying around, you can find one practically free. It will not be up to date, or fast or modern but then again why would it be, it's almost free. You get what you pay for.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:24 PM

Not saying this is for everybody. If its not for you THEN DONT DO IT!!!! If you are Big Daddy Warbucks and only can have people see you with the latest super high tech gadges, THEN DONT DO IT!!!! BUT IF YOU ALREADY OWN A PHONE.... and just want to do email with a real keyboard and larger screen. Maybe already have an older PC around that is slow, etc.

Hey everything is Rube Goldberg linking bits and pieces together, until you get that magic BORG implant in your head, right?

This might be just the thing for some that have a phone, an old XP computer and dont want to deal with linux. Like this that old computer never goes online, it simply remote controls your phone. Your phone goes online.

Look I can piece together a slow but usable linux computer for $25 depending on current market. Not everybody can, most are dependent on others for their technology, and LABOR COSTS MONEY, sometimes a lot more money than the actual hardware. Some have been brainwashed that linux is super complex and resembles DOS from 1990 or something. In fact I find it easier than win10, but then I have used it daily for over 20 years. Big downside of win10 is I have to constantly battle it to do what I want rather than what Microsoft wants. Once its locked down and tamed, its fine if bit disorganized.

Those making profit off selling latest and greatest widget will always poo-poo workarounds to keep older tech usable. But fact is few need the latest and greatest, only those selling it need to promote their fantasy in order to make a living. Mantra of capitalism, **** your neighbor before your neighbor can **** you.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
For small screens, I use reading glasses. I am near-sighted (from age 21) but when corrected, I have presbyopia. Bad eye sight is not unique to older people and I am not young anyway.

I still prefer bigger screens and a keyboard and mouse. You can get a tablet and attach a screen and keyboard but then you are in the same price range of a refurbished desktop. Why bother with tablet or a phone for that matter unless you actually prefer a small device.

Fixed income but want a computer, look around. There are so many older PCs laying around, you can find one practically free. It will not be up to date, or fast or modern but then again why would it be, it's almost free. You get what you pay for.

And if your only internet is cell service and your cell company bans tethering? Not all of us live in big city with free wifi everywhere and basic cable internet an easy inexpensive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones