Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 08:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times

Advertisements

Since you are an iPhone fan, I suggest the iPhone SE 2020. The full price is $399 with one of the postpaid major carriers or $299 with some prepaid carriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 10:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Your best options are iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max.

You get:

Excellent telephoto lens
low light/night mode (mediocre compared to the Pixel, but it does work well compared to your typical phone camera)
Great support for games (make sure the games you want are available for iPhones)
Great support for social media (much better than on Android)
Great battery
Great software support for several years

They are a bit expensive, but worth the price.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Since you are an iPhone fan, I suggest the iPhone SE 2020. The full price is $399 with one of the postpaid major carriers or $299 with some prepaid carriers.
Pass. The SE isn't a bad phone by any stretch, but it's a meh device. The battery life alone would kill me, but then I'm used to the multi day use I was getting out of my 11 Pro and I can get out of my 12 Pro.

If you want a smallish device, then yeah, the SE is the way to go. It's got a decent camera, good specs. But...very meh battery life (and the batteries in the 6, 6S, 7 and 8, which are all mostly the same physical device with upgraded innards were never known for longevity. I have boxes of them at work to recycle because the batteries gave up the ghost after a year or so).

If you take lots of pictures in the dark, the Pixel is the way to go. Great low light and astrophotography capabilities, better than the iPhone Pros or any other Android out there. The Pixel 5 at least more or less fixed the battery issues of the 3 I had, that was atrocious.

That all said, I don't miss my Pixel at all after moving to an iPhone. The few games I played work fine, everything I use for work is there, and all my personal stuff is there. I much prefer iCloud over Google in terms of backup and family sharing. Camera is excellent and it's plenty fast enough. And in case I didn't mention it before, the battery life is spectacular.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:04 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Agree with Rebl, as usual. Funny how an Androidian and an Apple Head can agree so well.
No way should the SE be on your list.

I am curious how TexasLawyer thinks iPhones are better at Social Media?!?! He must be referring to iMessage?!?

Android since you don't like LG then the S21 is the one you want. As you keep phones for 6 years, you absolutely should be the latest greatest model of whichever you get. Not the iPhone PRO MAX or the S21 ULTRA, but the iPhone Pro or the 'regular' Samsung S21 5g.

There is no shortage of these articles comparing these 2 phones.
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-ga...de-comparison/
Conclusion: Colors slightly better on the iPhone, Zoom is significantly better on the Samsung. Both of these will make your S5 feel like you're using a disposable camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I live alone. I have no social life. But between the games and social media I'm on my phone A LOT. Aside from the camera, one of the main reasons I want a new phone is the game that I'm into keeps crashing so I figure it's the phone.
Possibly. At this point it doesn't matter though. At some point it's not worth even troubleshooting it anymore. This phone is 6 years old.

Quote:
The reason I'm leaning toward an iPhone is that I've 'been there and done that" with the Samsung, not real happy a phone that runs hot and has rapid battery drainage, so I'd like to try something new.
All phones form 2014 are going to run 'hot' playing the latest games. And any 6 year old phone is going to have rapid battery drain.

Your last comment makes me want to say iPhone. I LOVE people who want to try new things. Hate people that are SO brand loyal they won't try new things. Personally I think the S21 is the better phone AND your an Android guy but... maybe try something new, eh?

Quote:
Anything else you need to know?
We're good.

Bottom line: there's no bad choice between those 2.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am curious how TexasLawyer thinks iPhones are better at Social Media?!?! He must be referring to iMessage?!?
Snapchat and Clubhouse come to mind... or at least are the obvious ones.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
If you take lots of pictures in the dark, the Pixel is the way to go. Great low light and astrophotography capabilities, better than the iPhone Pros or any other Android out there. The Pixel 5 at least more or less fixed the battery issues of the 3 I had, that was atrocious.

That all said, I don't miss my Pixel at all after moving to an iPhone.
This is a no brainer... and I agree.

However, the Pixel 5 doesn't meet one of the OP's preferences, a telephoto lens.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Snapchat and Clubhouse come to mind... or at least are the obvious ones.
Ah yes, Snapchat. Shameful how they were treating Android. I think they finally did release the update they'd promised. Not sure though. Don't use it and haven't even heard of Clubhouse. Nor do I want to. lol

Old 03-04-2021, 10:26 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times
OP here again. Thanks to all that responded. It looks like it'll be a toss up between iPhone Pro and the Samsung S21.

Question about both phones--I put a micro sandisk in my phone for more storage--can it be installed in either of these phones?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
The Samsung S21 does not support an SD card. I have the base model with 128 GB. Personally, I think it is a fantastic phone. Apple phones have never supported SD cards since the first model.

I had the Samsung S9+ that did support an SD card but Samsung discontinued it for the S21, if not earlier with the S20. The new trend is "cloud storage" for most Android devices, like it has always been for Apple iOS devices.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:31 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
the sales associate at Cricket and he steered me towards a Samsung S21.
Because he makes the most money if you buy that phone.
Samsung is desperate to improve market share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones