U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 02:09 PM

2,654 posts, read 850,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you understand: I WANT TO KEEP A PHONE FOR 6 YEARS THAT RUNS AS WELL IN 6 YEARS AS IT DID ON DAY 1?
Because you need to spend good money if that's what you want.
Did you also miss when OP said: "I live alone. I have no social life. But between the games and social media I'm on my phone A LOT."

If someone is on their phone ALOT and keeps them for 5 YEARS MINIMUM they would be well served with buying a flagship and not a near disposable phone like a Samsung J series, or a cheap Motorola.

Not to even mention, maybe OP makes more money then you do? "OMG I can't believe someone spends $1,000 on a phone" is a pet peeve of mine. Maybe I make 5 times what you do?
So $1,000 to me is like $200 to you. . .
Ya ok.

I'm just saying that almost any mid-range and up will be a long-lasting huge improvement over her current phone. And for games and pix, the handwringing about which flagship is better for her is a little precious. I would not buy a cheapie either, though it's interesting that she's on a Cricket service.

I own a flagship phone (at the time I bought it) so no, you can dispose of your $$ insults. I generally replace about every 24-30 months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 02:58 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,604,714 times
I love iPhones, they are workhorses that I’ve never had a problem with and they were standard issue from my employer, a large construction company. I would never want anything else.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:00 PM

4,990 posts, read 3,479,953 times
NO guarantees a flagship will last either, NONE. Not to mention, you drop the thing in the toilet, LOL, flagship gone and 1k down the same toilet.

I've personally seem cheap Motorolas last as long as flagships.

Case in point, my wife. She lives on the fricken phone. I won't go into the details but let's say it gets more use than my office desktop which I use 9 hours a day.

I'm on the other side of the coin. I don't think I've had a phone with a contract since the late 90s. I think it was with Sprint. It's been so long I don't remember. Not saying I buy the cheapest and I got the money but I still would never buy a "flagship". I'm no sheep, would never buy into the Apple or Samsung flagship hype either. Oh, I got the latest and greatest. NOBODY CARES what kind of phone you have.

If it does what I need, that's it, I'm happy. The phone sits on the kitchen counter 99% of the time.

I also can't play a stupid game on a 6 inch screen, AT ALL. Not even a 10" tablet. Nope. GET A LIFE is all I can say, no offense OP.

FYI: Cricket service uses the same towers as AT&T for much less. Only difference is it's throttled down to 8mbps. Not a problem for most. I have Straight Talk and have had them for years, same thing except full throttle. EXACTLY the same as AT&T for much less. All prepaid, no surprises, no traps, autopay. Never have to deal with it. That's another reason why I always buy unlocked.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 PM

5,750 posts, read 1,816,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $$$$ phone to play a game and snap some photos and cruise FB.
Phones are cheap for photos compared to how much people spend on cameras.

Also, not to bring up your financial situation but you did bring up "$$$$". Not everyone is poor or in a position where the cost of a phone is much compared to the value they get out of it.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you understand: I WANT TO KEEP A PHONE FOR 6 YEARS THAT RUNS AS WELL IN 6 YEARS AS IT DID ON DAY 1?
That pretty much makes the iPhone the best option. It's the only one that continues to provide software updates after a few years.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 03-05-2021 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-05-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post

Also, not to bring up your financial situation but you did bring up "$$$$". Not everyone is poor or in a position where the cost of a phone is much compared to the value they get out of it.
Oh fer cr.....

OK to be clear, I was just making a general statement that it's funny how it now seems de rigueur to spend $900 on a game machine and decent camera and social media browser.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:23 PM

18,439 posts, read 5,189,259 times
Quote:

While looking at the B & H Photo site for post #33, for kicks, I looked to see what the most expensive phone they sell is...it’s the new Sony, and it’s only a dollar or two under $2,500.00. Apparently, it incorporates some of the features of their mirrorless cameras.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:30 PM

18,439 posts, read 5,189,259 times
Quote:
That pretty much makes the iPhone the best option. It's the only one that continues to provide software updates after a few years.
I like, for now, still having one phone on the last version of iOS 13, and that phone...an original iPhone SE (manufactured in 2016, IIRC)....effortlessly accepted the installation of that OS. My 2020 SE runs iOS 14.4.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
While looking at the B & H Photo site for post #33, for kicks, I looked to see what the most expensive phone they sell is...it’s the new Sony, and it’s only a dollar or two under $2,500.00. Apparently, it incorporates some of the features of their mirrorless cameras.
The same 1" sensor is supposedly going to be in the Pixel 6.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:40 PM

The OP could do a LOT worse than a Pixel 4a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones