U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 10:44 PM

5,750 posts, read 1,816,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
The OP could do a LOT worse than a Pixel 4a
This is true. But the Pixel 4a is also far from a good option for the OP based on her requirements.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 08:00 AM

2,654 posts, read 850,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is true. But the Pixel 4a is also far from a good option for the OP based on her requirements.
Yeah I guess candy crush is much better on a 12.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:59 AM

7,516 posts, read 936,377 times
OP here...

You guys are a riot!

I agree that I SHOULD GET A LIFE, but being an introvert along with the pandemic event sorta short circuited those plans. I moved from CT to FL--going on 3 years now--and haven't established many social connections. COVID has thwarted such attempts even more. My kids--and most of my friends--live up North. However, I did get 2 "COVID" kitties in 2020 that keep me company and somewhat occupied. And I'll be getting my second COVID vaccine shot in a couple of weeks so I'll be breathing a little easier after that and venturing out a little more.

As you may have guessed already, I'm retired and on a fixed income. Like I said, I tend to keep my gadgets a long time so I don't mind paying a little extra. I would prefer to dip into my savings and pay for the phone outright rather than put the charge on a payment plan. I hate owing money so I've made it a practice to pay my credit cards, etc. on time. I had cataract + lasix surgery last year and it's killing me that I had to open up a "CareCredit" account to pay for it so I'm doubling up on payments to get that bill off the books. I don't drive a fancy car (I have a 2012 Mazda 2), and my other electronics are bordering on ancient. All will need replacement within the next couple of years, but the phone is the most vital now.

Quote:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $$$$ phone to play a game and snap some photos and cruise FB.
I was a gamer before there were video games. Back in the day it was board games and pinball. If I were in high school today I'd definitely be called a geek. I confess I'm hopelessly addicted, but I can think of worse addictions (booze, drugs, gambling, cigarettes....) so leave me alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
FYI: Cricket service uses the same towers as AT&T for much less. Only difference is it's throttled down to 8mbps. Not a problem for most. I have Straight Talk and have had them for years, same thing except full throttle. EXACTLY the same as AT&T for much less. All prepaid, no surprises, no traps, autopay. Never have to deal with it. That's another reason why I always buy unlocked.
So should I assume that Straight Talk is the better provider?

Old 03-06-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
OP here...

You guys are a riot!

I agree that I SHOULD GET A LIFE, but being an introvert along with the pandemic event sorta short circuited those plans. I moved from CT to FL--going on 3 years now--and haven't established many social connections. COVID has thwarted such attempts even more. My kids--and most of my friends--live up North. However, I did get 2 "COVID" kitties in 2020 that keep me company and somewhat occupied. And I'll be getting my second COVID vaccine shot in a couple of weeks so I'll be breathing a little easier after that and venturing out a little more.

As you may have guessed already, I'm retired and on a fixed income. Like I said, I tend to keep my gadgets a long time so I don't mind paying a little extra. I would prefer to dip into my savings and pay for the phone outright rather than put the charge on a payment plan. I hate owing money so I've made it a practice to pay my credit cards, etc. on time. I had cataract + lasix surgery last year and it's killing me that I had to open up a "CareCredit" account to pay for it so I'm doubling up on payments to get that bill off the books. I don't drive a fancy car (I have a 2012 Mazda 2), and my other electronics are bordering on ancient. All will need replacement within the next couple of years, but the phone is the most vital now.

I was a gamer before there were video games. Back in the day it was board games and pinball. If I were in high school today I'd definitely be called a geek. I confess I'm hopelessly addicted, but I can think of worse addictions (booze, drugs, gambling, cigarettes....) so leave me alone!
I'm sorry, Daisy, I think you mistook my comments, but i agree I could have been a bit clearer.

With this additional detail you provided, I will just reiterate that I think it's a not necessary or advisable to dip into your savings, as someone on a fixed income, to buy a flagship top of the line phone, when a upper/mid level phone at a much more reasonable price would be suitable for you for years. It would blow your current Samsung away, and last plenty. No dipping into a fixed income savings needed.

Think of it this way, should your 2012 Mazda suddenly die (unlikely) would a $90,000 Tesla or Lincoln Navigator be the best choice just because they're the most current/future-proof yada yada? Or even a $50K Buick?

Old 03-06-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah I guess candy crush is much better on a 12.
I guess I missed where Daisy Grey said she will only be playing older games like candy crush for the next several years and nothing modern.

If she wanted to explore more demanding or more modern games, the Pixel 4a would be a poor choice. The iPhone 12 Pro is looking more appealing.

That being said, I personally, would wait for the iPhone 13 at this point, but that's just me.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I guess I missed where Daisy Grey said she will only be playing older games like candy crush for the next several years and nothing modern.

If she wanted to explore more demanding or more modern games, the Pixel 4a would be a poor choice. The iPhone 12 Pro is looking more appealing.

That being said, I personally, would wait for the iPhone 13 at this point, but that's just me.
Hmmmm

https://www.gamesreviews.com/article...ogle-pixel-4a/

Old 03-06-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Did you actually play Asphalt on the 4a? You have to turn down the graphics settings. It's not future proof.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Did you actually play Asphalt on the 4a? You have to turn down the graphics settings. It's not future proof.
I don't game at all. Maybe Daisy will surprise us and tell us she's a hard core gfx-intense gamer (she DID bring up that she used to play pinball...so any guesses? Words With Friends?). What I play (or not) means nothing.

SHe's a fixed income retiree thinking about dipping into savings to buy a phone that's truly overkill, suggested by those who probably DO use a higher % of a phone's capabilities than she ever would.

Call me what you will, I just find that a little...something.

Maybe the context in which the OP is asking doesn't mean as much in some people's calculations when making suggestions. That's OK I guess. Others will read this and get some good info.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:11 PM

OP here...

HA! You guys are a riot!

Never have I said I play Candy Crush--in fact I've NEVER played CC! I play a game called CLOCKMAKER which appears to be graphically demanding. After every other round it shuts down on me. It's a "pay for play" if you want extra rounds/help which I won't do so I guess it went to inserting annoying adverts for other games. Sometimes it I can get back to the game, but more often than not the game shuts down. It's a crap shoot.....

Oh, and for the record....I used to play Words with Friends and Scrabble on FB but they screwed around with FB so I don't do that any more. And I'm extroadinarily sad that Adobe no longer supports Flash as that has really cut down on my gaming. Once I get my new phone I'm DEFINITELY downloading The Logical World of Zoombinis as it's my favorite game from 'way back when my kids were young

I'm beginning to realize that I need an iPad or similar for these games. That will be in the next round of purchases.....

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 03-06-2021 at 07:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I will just reiterate that I think it's a not necessary or advisable to dip into your savings, as someone on a fixed income, to buy a flagship top of the line phone, when a upper/mid level phone at a much more reasonable price would be suitable for you for years.
$500 vs $1100? It's all coming out of the same pot.

Quote:
Think of it this way, should your 2012 Mazda suddenly die (unlikely) would a $90,000 Tesla or Lincoln Navigator be the best choice just because they're the most current/future-proof yada yada? Or even a $50K Buick?.
That's an "apples and oranges" comparison. Most likely my next car will be a late model (i.e. not new) Kia Soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones