U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 07:39 PM

5,750 posts, read 1,816,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm beginning to realize that I need an iPad or similar for these games. That will be in the next round of purchases.....
If you're considering an iPad in the future, it makes sense to get an iPhone now. That way you won't need to manage two ecosystems (app stores, accounts, etc.). It's not the most important thing, but it simplifies things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 07:43 PM

2,654 posts, read 850,190 times
Quote:
$500 vs $1100? It's all coming out of the same pot.

That's an "apples and oranges" comparison. Most likely my next car will be a late model (i.e. not new) Kia Soul.
You were the one that brought up retired/fixed income. Was just trying not to be the usual CD person who thinks anything but top of the line is a mistake.

Anyhooooo. You'll enjoy whatever you get. I suppose an iPad might be better for a game that requires a touchscreen.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

6,045 posts, read 3,158,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Because he makes the most money if you buy that phone.
Samsung is desperate to improve market share.
um, unless something changed drastically last year, huawei then samsung sell the most devices:
[dailymotion]x7zq6id[/dailymotion]

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

7,516 posts, read 936,377 times
OP here again.

OK--say I want to switch from Cricket to Straight Talk when I get my phone.

How do I:

1) Cancel my Cricket account
2) Retain my same phone# (do I need to get my phone unlocked to free up the number?)
3) Sign up for Straight Talk (can I do this in the Apple Store, on-line or Walmart?)

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

4,578 posts, read 7,359,089 times
Don't cancel your Cricket account yourself. Sign up with Straight Talk and make sure to tell them you want to port your phone #. Straight Talk will confirm your phone # and verify your account information with Cricket. Once the port is complete, your Cricket account will be closed. Don't forget that if you have a prepaid balance on Cricket, it will be lost and not transferred to Straight Talk.

Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM

4,991 posts, read 3,479,953 times
Quote:
So should I assume that Straight Talk is the better provider?
There may be other differences such as which towers you are on (better coverage) but the main difference is internet speed and data cap.

I'm on the $45 plan, $42.50 with autopay. 10gb full speed data per month, unlimited talk, text etc. It seems now that the same plan is 25gb. I've been with them a long time and it doesn't matter, I doubt I even go over 2gb.

Cricket is comparable, a bit lower in price and as far as I know, throttled internet speed down to 8mbps. That doesn't mean it's slow. As I said, it's good enough for most. If you are on Wifi most of the time, this doesn't matter much.

I have my wife on the Cricket $30 plan. It's only 2gb per month and slows down after that but she's at home most of the time on Wifi.

Straight Talk is nice because you can use different providers depending on coverage. If one is better than the other in your area, you go with that one. AT&T works for me. Choices are AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Cricket is owned by AT&T so that's your only choice.

Straight Talk
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...p/serviceplans

Cricket. Click on the number of lines you will need to get the correct pricing. It looks like it defaults to 4.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Since you are already with Cricket, that may affect your choices. Not sure if you can switch to one of their newer deals if you already on an older one. To switch back and forth, you need an unlocked phone. Compare the two and go from there.

If you decide to go with a different one than Cricket, you have to keep your number so you don't cancel till you activate with the new company. As mentioned make sure to specify you want keep your old number. This is called porting. You can actually do everything with Straight Talk online. You order the sim card, and the rest you do from their website. Otherwise you need to go to Walmart, that is their main brick and mortar.

Last edited by gguerra; Yesterday at 02:09 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

18,439 posts, read 5,189,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
If you're considering an iPad in the future, it makes sense to get an iPhone now. That way you won't need to manage two ecosystems (app stores, accounts, etc.). It's not the most important thing, but it simplifies things.
I agree.

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

18,439 posts, read 5,189,259 times
Quote:
OP here again.

OK--say I want to switch from Cricket to Straight Talk when I get my phone.

How do I:

1) Cancel my Cricket account
2) Retain my same phone# (do I need to get my phone unlocked to free up the number?)
3) Sign up for Straight Talk (can I do this in the Apple Store, on-line or Walmart?)
Unless Straight Talk is going to give you a considerable discount on the phone, you really should buy the factory unlocked version from Apple/Apple.com.

The factory unlocked Version for/purchased in the U.S. will accept a SIM card from any U.S. provider without worrying about any carrier locking issues. It really is the best way to go.

Currently, depending on where you live, the local Apple store will probably have one of two scenarios. Either....

1. They will be set up for pickup of online orders by appointment and Genius to appointments (service/issues)

Or

2. The choices in #1, or, instead of buying online, shopping by appointment in the store.

Since you need to port the number to Straight Talk, help for that....the Apple store is not going to be your best bet. Just go to the electronics/cellular department at a Walmart when they aren’t busy and they will probably be happy to help you port the number to Straight Talk, even with you bringing in an unlocked iPhone that you didn’t buy there.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Unless Straight Talk is going to give you a considerable discount on the phone, you really should buy the factory unlocked version from Apple/Apple.com.

The factory unlocked Version for/purchased in the U.S. will accept a SIM card from any U.S. provider without worrying about any carrier locking issues. It really is the best way to go.

Currently, depending on where you live, the local Apple store will probably have one of two scenarios. Either....

1. They will be set up for pickup of online orders by appointment and Genius to appointments (service/issues)

Or

2. The choices in #1, or, instead of buying online, shopping by appointment in the store.

Since you need to port the number to Straight Talk, help for that....the Apple store is not going to be your best bet. Just go to the electronics/cellular department at a Walmart when they aren’t busy and they will probably be happy to help you port the number to Straight Talk, even with you bringing in an unlocked iPhone that you didn’t buy there.
Definitely.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There may be other differences such as which towers you are on (better coverage) but the main difference is internet speed and data cap.

I'm on the $45 plan, $42.50 with autopay. 10gb full speed data per month, unlimited talk, text etc. It seems now that the same plan is 25gb. I've been with them a long time and it doesn't matter, I doubt I even go over 2gb.

Cricket is comparable, a bit lower in price and as far as I know, throttled internet speed down to 8mbps. That doesn't mean it's slow. As I said, it's good enough for most. If you are on Wifi most of the time, this doesn't matter much.

I have my wife on the Cricket $30 plan. It's only 2gb per month and slows down after that but she's at home most of the time on Wifi.

Straight Talk is nice because you can use different providers depending on coverage. If one is better than the other in your area, you go with that one. AT&T works for me. Choices are AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Cricket is owned by AT&T so that's your only choice.

Straight Talk
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...p/serviceplans

Cricket. Click on the number of lines you will need to get the correct pricing. It looks like it defaults to 4.
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

Since you are already with Cricket, that may affect your choices. Not sure if you can switch to one of their newer deals if you already on an older one. To switch back and forth, you need an unlocked phone. Compare the two and go from there.

If you decide to go with a different one than Cricket, you have to keep your number so you don't cancel till you activate with the new company. As mentioned make sure to specify you want keep your old number. This is called porting. You can actually do everything with Straight Talk online. You order the sim card, and the rest you do from their website. Otherwise you need to go to Walmart, that is their main brick and mortar.
This is good--I needed a clear picture of the sequence of events....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones