Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 08:08 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

How to disable Google Voice? It is covering the keyboard and we can not send or reply to text messages. We'd also like to remove TikTok, games, card games, Twitter, etc.
We have the 123 page users manual and so far no help from that.
There are 41 apps and Google Voice is not one of them so as to uninstall or disable it. How to remove entire panels and massive changing to what is in each panel.
Thanks.

Last edited by howard555; 03-21-2021 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 03:16 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
What version of Android you are using ? Have you tried going to the ZTE internet site for help ?

Old 03-21-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
What version of Android you are using ? Have you tried going to the ZTE internet site for help ?
Version 9.0 and we have no other options. Under language and input there is keyboard and inputs > virtual keyboard (Google voice typing) > physical keyboard not connected. Nothing under manage keyboards. I see "google voice typing" automatic and not seeing a way to disable it. It pops open when we try to reply to a text.

Here we don't have the option to turn it off as far as I can tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-zkdZOPP3o

Last edited by howard555; 03-21-2021 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2021, 05:27 PM

We reset the phone to factory reset and that appears to have solved the issue of the missing keyboard. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:30 PM

Reset failed after one day. When this phone is turned on the main screen has a full screen of a news story in the background and two lateral windows with "read more" and game apps and others. There are 43 apps and we don't need most of them. Some can be disabled, some can be un-installed and some can be forced stopped. Replying to a text is a fairly basic action. The Google voice typing is covering the normal keyboard. There is an X top right and an X right side of the "typing icon" and settings on the left side of the voice typing icon. Those settings don't lead to a solution for the voice typing. So we can receive text but can not reply to one or send a new one using the normal keyboard. Android version 9 and Q-link as the carrier. Carrier can not be changed. Newer version of Android can not be changed.

Old 03-24-2021, 05:45 PM

The phone had a setup process. After that we were introduced for the first time to the portals, etc. The google voice was covering the keyboard. We reset it to the factory settings. That solved the keyboard issue for a day or so and we just reset it again before placing our previous comment. So we have done the reset twice and the problem persist. There should be a way to disable Google voice typing.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
That's not normal behavior at all. The voice to text (VTT) feature is keeping you from typing? (It's not Google Voice, that's something else entirely). Can you share a pic?

Old 03-28-2021, 12:45 PM

I solved the issue with the physical keyboard. Now the main issue which has been there all along is the opening page. It's news stories. There are links to "read more" and "more news". It's Android 9.0 and it's a struggle to get to the screen for text or phone. In this image which is a terrible photo you see news. The icon on the left is "camera" and on the right is "lock." That gray icon in the middle can be moved to the left or right. I tried disabling Chrome so it could not access any news.
It just took may about 5 minutes to get to the screen for text and phone calls. That is the lingering issue. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
ZTE Quest 5 - settings-imgp1161.jpg  

Old 03-29-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's not normal behavior at all. The voice to text (VTT) feature is keeping you from typing? (It's not Google Voice, that's something else entirely). Can you share a pic?
yes

The hidden keyboard is back and the only way I know to retrieve it will be to do a factory reset for the third time.

Here is the best photo we can get with a scanner. Camera photo not clear.

This text was received and when I try to enter "text message" in the window the "tap to speak" opens and covers the physical keyboard.
Here is what you see in the photo:
a. X top right - press that and nothing happens.
b. X right of the microphone - press that and get nothing.
c. gear left of the microphone and in there is says "signed out for Google speech input"
d. microphone or type to speak - pressing that gets "try saying something"

I would think the one of the X's would close the "tap to speak" window but it does not.

I disabled and removed many of the 43 apps. I kept the vital ones trying to get rid of the news being all we can access when the phone is turned on. We can get to the list of icons, phone, text by swiping the screen from bottom to top.

I'll have to do a reset to return this persons text and that will very likely re-enable everything that has been disabled.

Android 9.0 and it seems Google may be hiding the settings and having it default to what they wants us to see. I even tried to disable or force stop Google Chrome to stop the "news" page which they are getting from the internet I assume.

We have another older ZTE phone through the same carrier (Q-Link) and when turning it on it went to the page we would want open which is phone, text, other desktop icons and access to all apps by swiping up and we just open the one we want with no force feeding news stories and difficulty getting to another screen and inability to reply to texts received.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:39 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Pull down the notification 'shade'. Use 2 fingers and swipe down from the very top.
You should see a gear there. Click that.
Language and Input.
Is there anything about keyboards there? We need to change your default.

Alternatively, go to Play Store and find a new keyboard to install.
Swiftkey is a popular one, since bought by Microsoft. When you install that it will walk you through making it the default, which should fix this. And it's a good keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones