Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 07:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Hello group, time to ask for help . . .

For some time now my iPhone SE, early version, has the habit of going dark while I'm using it for various things even though the battery indicator says it has a 95% battery charge.

It goes dark then a minute later the apple logo appears on a dark screen.

Then the dark screen shows a white outline of a battery with a red sliver indicating less than 10% charge.

I plug it into the charger and then it comes back to life showing maybe an 85% charge.

It may work well for a while without any problem or it may crap out again.

I assumed a battery issue so I took it to a battery store. An hour later they called and said they couldn't get into the phone because the two pentalobe screws were stripped out and they could not get into the battery via any of their other ways to doing that.

I called Apple support and they had me download the newest operating system. A bit of a surprise since I've it set for automatic updates, but it needed the latest operating system so I downloaded that and installed it.

The phone ran fine for a couple of days then poof, back to the same problem.

I called Apple again and this time they had me backup my phone to the cloud and reset all softwares which I did. It ran fine for a half hour and then poof, back to the same problem.

The Apple lady called my Saturday night to see how it was going and I told her it still wasn't fixed so she set me up for a Genius Bar appt on Monday at noon.

Anyone heard of such a problem before?

Replies appreciated and I'll let everyone know what the genius bar folks tell me, which will probably be to buy a new phone.

Since I use my SE only for emails, phone calls, a few pictures, reading websites, or map uses I don't need a super duper one ... so in case I need a new iPhone what does the group suggest. Ideally it will be the same size as the SE which fits perfectly in my shirt pockets.

Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
I’ve used the Genius Bar once with a good result. Best option; A new phone. But that was ok as it solved the problem and I preferred that solution. No repeat of issue

If you want the same size phone you have two choices. The SE2, a much improved version of the SE @$400 or the iPhone 12 mini @$700. The mini has a number of real pluses over the SE2. Better camera. Better and larger screen. Is 5G ready and a better processor. Plus more. Worth the extra $$$, but the SE2 is a fine choice also.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:20 PM

Okay, I've been to Apple and they took my old SE in trade and gave me a similar SE for just $49.

When they took the frame off my old phone it was obvious the battery was swollen as it pushed the lens up a bit to where it could be seen slightly elevated. They could press on the lens and push it down but it came right back up.

So they transferred everything over from the old phone to the new one and off I went.

The store was busy, people waiting for appointments were queued up out in the main mall hallway, masks and temperature checks required.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, I've been to Apple and they took my old SE in trade and gave me a similar SE for just $49.

When they took the frame off my old phone it was obvious the battery was swollen as it pushed the lens up a bit to where it could be seen slightly elevated. They could press on the lens and push it down but it came right back up.

So they transferred everything over from the old phone to the new one and off I went.

The store was busy, people waiting for appointments were queued up out in the main mall hallway, masks and temperature checks required.
So you got another SE1? Definitely like for like but the SE2 would have been worth the upgrade.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
So you got another SE1? Definitely like for like but the SE2 would have been worth the upgrade.
On the plus side, this was probably half the price that taking the phone to a third-party repair shop for a replacement battery would have been. I've done that with out-of-warranty phones that I knew needed a new battery. OP got a good deal.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:16 PM

For just $49 I'm willing to bide my time for another year or two while 5G gets rolled out but not sure I'll need that capability as I do just basic stuff.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:31 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
If Apple had not helped you, I would have suggested buying a new iPhone SE 2020.
Your iPhone SE (version 1) was a tad old.
Old men should have new phones.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
If Apple had not helped you, I would have suggested buying a new iPhone SE 2020.
I'd much rather have a new set of "plumbing" that works like it used to.

In his wisdom, the Almighty sets things up so that the memory goes first, then when your "plumbing" stops working we won't remember what it was that we've lost and sit there on the park bench crying while we feed the pigeons.

The new SE will work fine for a few more years when I might really need newer or better features.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:54 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You got that right!

~from another old man

Old 04-07-2021, 08:39 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Is the new SE the same size and weight as a iphone 6?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones