U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

5,595 posts, read 12,106,639 times

Advertisements

Just bought an LG K51 for my wife who needed a simple 'smartphone' with a rather big screen!

When LG goes out of business, does that mean no updates or whatever?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 1,877,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
But in all likelihood I'll be switching to Pixel.
Pixels are generally great phones. The 3a and 4 were big misses and steps backwards. But the most recent 4a and 4a5g are decent while the 5 is solid (albeit pricey for the hardware... but that battery and frequencies are worth it to me).

Old Today, 04:45 AM

14,123 posts, read 7,116,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Going on 3 years with my V20.

It's the best phone I have owned.

I plan on keeping it for a while. It's got a replaceable battery. It hasn't slowed down at all. No reason to change it.
Even if you stop using it as a phone with that great DAC it makes a killer audio player.

Old Today, 05:09 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,827,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I wonder why they're quitting phones?
They're bleeding money from the mobile division. Market share is only something like 2-3%.

Old Today, 05:13 AM

37,520 posts, read 65,043,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
They're bleeding money from the mobile division. Market share is only something like 2-3%.

Yup.
1.7% according to the article.
Samsung and Apple are the beasts.

Old Today, 07:11 AM

13,217 posts, read 15,298,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just bought an LG K51 for my wife who needed a simple 'smartphone' with a rather big screen!

When LG goes out of business, does that mean no updates or whatever?
No, they will still send updates for awhile.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,535,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Even if you stop using it as a phone with that great DAC it makes a killer audio player.
Good point. Even if I switch I will not be throwing it away. I can use it as a wifi MP3 player.

By the way, you can still buy new old stock. Still available new on ebay for around $140. Mine may last another year or two? I'm in no hurry.

I'm not so sure about the newer form factors. Taller, more narrow phones seems to be the way it's going. I will eventually have to get used to it.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

And you will. And you will pick up your old phone some day and wonder how you ever used something that small.
And it doesn't take long.

Old Today, 10:13 AM

5,048 posts, read 3,535,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And you will. And you will pick up your old phone some day and wonder how you ever used something that small.
And it doesn't take long.
My V20 is not small by any stretch. The phone itself is 6.25" x 3". Screen is 5.7" with 2.1" secondary screen. The difference is the aspect ratio at 16x9. The newer phones do not feel too big to me, just more narrow which takes a bit getting used to. The V20 still feels big. My last phone, a Nexus 6 was also big.

Most newer phones are coming in at well over 6" diagonal but are narrow in comparison to the width. They don't feel as bulky to be honest. I think the aspect ratio that is common now is about 20:9 give or take.

Old Today, 02:01 PM

I had a v20 for awhile. One of my favorites.
It just seemed when I got my first big phone I was very anti big phone. I used it for a few weeks then had an issue and had to sent it back. Went back to my old phone while I waited for a replacement and thought it felt too damn small.
I was like HOW DID I EVER USE THIS TINY THNG?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones