Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,096 times

Advertisements

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that I bought in March 2013. And recently, the USB port broke, and now it doesn't recognize anything I plug into it (which is necessary to charge it!)

I tried looking for spare batteries, standalone chargers and other ways to alternatively charge my phone, but I can't find anything that would be compatible with the Galaxy Note 2. I asked someone at a store, and they said that my phone is obsolete and should be featured in a museum!

Less than 2 years, and my cell phone is obsolete? Seriously?? And why wouldn't Samsung Galaxy's batteries be the same size?

Honestly this pisses me off. Because I suspect they do all of this on purpose to force people to rabidly buy the newest models constantly. No wonder people act like animals on Black Friday, they're basically herded to do so!

Am I right in suspecting that this is why they do this?

My phone's not on warranty either...and my contract doesn't end until the end of March. So it looks like I'm stuck paying $600 for another one that's just going to be considered a fossil the next ****ing week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,237,594 times
You can buy almost everything on EBAY look HERE for charger and batteries and all types of spare parts.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:19 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Go to a different store or buy online.

It's not reasonable to expect stores to stock accessories for a phone that's been out over two years, especially when it's not a super popular one.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,479,583 times
If you had bought an iPhone 5 in 2013, we would not be having this conversation.

On a side note; with the "buy your phone" plans you are not locked into a two year prison.

On a second side note, if your contract ends in march, the ETF can't be that much. Pay it off and go with an Edge or Next plan. My Next plan is a 20 month payment plan, which allows me to upgrade every 12 months. Yes, I pay $25 a month for the phone, but get a $15 discount on my bill. $10 more a month is not a lot to pay to have the freedom to get a new phone every 12mos.

BTW, I plan to just pay off the phone and keep it. But if the phone acts up in a year, I can walk away with no financial penalty.

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-15-2015 at 09:26 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 09:23 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,860,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If you had bought an iPhone 5 in 2013, we would not be having this conversation.
If they were having their problem with an iPhone 5, they'd have to throw it out because of the non-replaceable battery (not that the battery broke, the charging port did, but you can at least swap a fresh battery in it after charging from an external charger if you felt so inclined). Let's not start that please.

As others said, ebay and amazon will very easily and quickly fix your issue. I'm still using a note 2 also, because it's still adequate. I'll be replacing it next month, maybe. I may wait till asus' new zenphones come out though.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,479,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
If they were having their problem with an iPhone 5, they'd have to throw it out because of the non-replaceable battery (not that the battery broke, the charging port did, but you can at least swap a fresh battery in it after charging from an external charger if you felt so inclined). Let's not start that please.

My wife had a battery issue with her iPhone 4s last year. New battery was $40, installed. The battery is very replaceable. Ask my wife.

Charger port breaking is a quality control issue. Mrs5150's port was fine-also repairable if needed. The OP, not so much. Any threads here on iPhone charging ports breaking and/or being nonfixable?

I don't want to get into the religious war here. Just going with the OP's plight. From what the OP is saying Samsung products appear to be not repairable and replacement batteries are not to be had.

Last edited by Mr5150; 01-15-2015 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,096 times
I had no choice but to order online. I basically NEED my phone (and it has to be a smartphone) for work, so I can't really afford to wait for days for external chargers for my 'obsolete' phone, but it's either that or spend $700 for a replacement. (I'm with Verizon locked into a 2 year contract because I need to have a high quality smartphone and good coverage)

Ridiculous that people are expected to buy new phones so frequently.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 AM

6,406 posts, read 10,210,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
From what the OP is saying Samsung products appear to be not repairable and replacement batteries are not to be had.
Both false assertions. All phones are "repairable", it depends on what you are willing to spend. As far as batteries are concerned you can find batteries for virtually any phone online. Cell stores do not keep batteries in stock for discontinued phones and it has always been that way.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,416,413 times
I just replace the Non user replaceable battery in my Nexus 5. It cost me $12, a guitar pick and a tiny screw driver and 7 minutes of my time.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:17 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,501,916 times
The LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy S5 both support Wireless Charging (no charging port needed) AND swappable batteries.
So... unless you are going to want the NEXT Android update (Mango Pie? Molten Lava Cake?) you could probably get one of those to go 5 or 6 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones