Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Do you know of anyone who has had their home phone shut off and uses their cell phone as their only phone? We were thinking about doing this, but wanted some insight from anyone who has/is doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I've thought about it plenty, but without a land-line, I wouldn't have internet service.

But I do know a few people that only have a cell-phone and use cafes for their online pleasures.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:38 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have friends who have done this. Verizon pissed her off, and she told them to discontinue service. They have been using their Nextels ever since. It has been close to 4 years.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you know of anyone who has had their home phone shut off and uses their cell phone as their only phone? We were thinking about doing this, but wanted some insight from anyone who has/is doing it.

My daughter did that for awhile, saved her about $40.00 a month for a phone she hardly ever used. She had it turned back on when she took the kids out of day care and hired a baby sitter.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
How timely!
I'm currently without a landline. Currently, as in "as of this morning".

Funny story. A loooong time ago I swore off doing business with AT&T. Just crazy-lousy customer service. So what happens last year? AT&T bought out our area's phone service. I remember thinking "oh this will be gooood" but I thought I'd give em a 2nd chance. So far they've only mis-billed me 3 or 4 times and it's been fairly painless to sort out.

Well, ditz that I am, I forgot to pay last month's phone bill (holidays, travel, houseguests, illness etc etc). Popped it in the mail late. "Due date" was yesterday (Jan 15th) but of course there was no mail service (MLK day).

Sooooooo, the braniacs at AT&T shut off my service this morning, even though my check is doubtlessly sitting in a mail-bin in their facility at this point.

No, here is the beautiful part: I DON"T NEED THEM.

Darn that feels good! With two cell phones in the house and a cable modem, I'm thinkin' "what the heck?". Reconnect fees? I don't think so! Maybe if they give me a few months free service I'll consider reconnecting.

p.s. My daughter and most of her friends have never had land-lines. I think it's pretty common with the under-25 crowd.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:06 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,820 times
We had 2 land lines and were paying about 125. a month for them. We had them turned off and now only use cells and are glad we did.

One drawback... I don't have international calling on my plan so I have to use a card. And that can be a hassle. And if the service goes out we are with out a phone but that doesn't happen often.

I think with cells and internet calling...soon land lines will be a thing of the past!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:07 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,796,331 times
I only have a cell phone. I don't need a landline.
I don't mind it at all
BUT-
check with your homeowners insurance company first. Some of them require you to have a landline phone installed because of the 911-and getting your address even if you drop the call. Cell phones cannot do that. So before you cancel your home phone.. check that out. Just a heads up

Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM

613 posts, read 798,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

My hubby and I are completely wireless now, as of about 4 months. We love it! No more telemarketers calling the minute you walk in the door from work, etc.....The people who call now, are people WE KNOW, and it makes for more pleasant evenings. We did have cable TV, but did away with that also, but opted to keep DLS through them and now have Direct TV satallite. Just some new lifestyle changes we made ...and we love it!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
I contemplated it but changed my mind. Reason one being that if I were to need to call 9-1-1, that's how they can find the address.

The other reason is my mom lives alone and has one of those lifeline type hook ups (think: help I've fallen....), the first number they are to call to reach me is my cell phone, then home and then work in that order. If I were at home and the cell service was down, I'd still be reachable........ that to me is more than worth it.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Boy, you folks have been REAL helpful with this Thread. We are "highly" considering doing this now. We just have to do some investigating into who will give us Internet service without a land-line. And, along with not getting a regular phone bill per month, there will also be no Long Distance bill per month. Most family members calls us either on the weekends or in the evenings. It's mostly BS calls that we get during the day. And, yes, we will check it out with our Homeowners Insurance before we do any changing/shut off.
Another thing for us to remember, got to make sure cell phones are completely charged up......or that could be a problem also.
Thanks so much for all of the info so far!!!!!!!!!! You folks are GREAT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones