Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 PM

190 posts, read 882,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
I would like to see a cnet review of the iphone vs HTC Touch HD, both the Diamond and particularly the Instinct are weak in comparison.
Just by the specs and capabilities, iphone FTL.
Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications
HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Touch HD: Specification
you know how all the cell phone maker are aiming at the iPhone even though they have been making phones for years while this is apples first phone, well this makes you think about what apple can do after a couple of more years. The Mac Phone. Your Mac in your pocket with the exact same programs and system as if you were carrying a macbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
you know how all the cell phone maker are aiming at the iPhone even though they have been making phones for years while this is apples first phone, well this makes you think about what apple can do after a couple of more years. The Mac Phone. Your Mac in your pocket with the exact same programs and system as if you were carrying a macbook.
From what I hear from iPhone users, if they would have put the new technology from the 3g in the original iPhone, they would have loved it. Instead it seems Apple is taking a step in the wrong direction, so we should indeed see what they come up with next. And btw, if you go a little bigger, you can get windows computers that are fully functional. Companies have been making tiny windows computers for years, nowadays you pretty much have your choice of what size screen you would like. Maybe you should check out another fine HTC product here: http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=474 or here: http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=600 Oops I guess apple is 2 steps behind again.

Plus, nobody likes the fact that Apple could brick their phone for using unlocking and jailbreak software. It's like you buying a computer from me, and then me telling you what programs you should be allowed to use. At least Microsoft just bans people from xbox live, but they do it mostly to prevent piracy. Apple does it because they can, and you will still buy from them.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
From what I hear from iPhone users, if they would have put the new technology from the 3g in the original iPhone, they would have loved it. Instead it seems Apple is taking a step in the wrong direction, so we should indeed see what they come up with next. And btw, if you go a little bigger, you can get windows computers that are fully functional. Companies have been making tiny windows computers for years, nowadays you pretty much have your choice of what size screen you would like. Maybe you should check out another fine HTC product here: HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Advantage: Specification or here: HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Shift: Specification Oops I guess apple is 2 steps behind again.

Plus, nobody likes the fact that Apple could brick their phone for using unlocking and jailbreak software. It's like you buying a computer from me, and then me telling you what programs you should be allowed to use. At least Microsoft just bans people from xbox live, but they do it mostly to prevent piracy. Apple does it because they can, and you will still buy from them.
again as i posted before. Apple just started into the phone market and these other companies have been doing this for years. And how can you compare a phone to i dont know are those laptops. Whatever but i cant seem to find the pricing for the HTC products.

Last edited by CityPolice; 10-09-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 07:06 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,673 times
One product was a laptop with full windows on a solid state disk, one was a phone with windows mobile on it. They were just examples of what you said might be possible in a couple years with mac. Usually ebay is a good place to check out what the free market is willing to pay for electronics, although right now through the end of the year everything will be in higher demand because of the holidays. I don't completely hate the iPhone, it could have turned out as an excellent piece of equipment. Had they not tried to lock it down so much, I might have bought one, but I can't support a company that tries to control it's consumers like that. My Ipod nano on the other hand is great, but they have no controls in place to keep me from installing whatever I want on it, and using it however I want.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
I'm pretty happy that my phone runs the Palm os - simply because it's made my life muchg easier to have my calendar etc with me all the time.

But I try to remember that it's a tool
...not a religion.

It's not worth trading insults over the various features, is it? Really?

Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
From what I hear from iPhone users, if they would have put the new technology from the 3g in the original iPhone, they would have loved it. Instead it seems Apple is taking a step in the wrong direction, so we should indeed see what they come up with next. And btw, if you go a little bigger, you can get windows computers that are fully functional. Companies have been making tiny windows computers for years, nowadays you pretty much have your choice of what size screen you would like. Maybe you should check out another fine HTC product here: HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Advantage: Specification or here: HTC – Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer: Products – HTC Shift: Specification Oops I guess apple is 2 steps behind again.

Apple sells over 1 million iPhones a month now. I think you are mistaken if you think that Apple is going in the wrong direction or that people don't like iPhones. Apple time and time again seems to show that it can execute in markets where others fail because it designs products well.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 AM

19 posts, read 39,603 times
Default What? Nothing else has waht?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Because it's vastly superior in many areas to any other smart phone. Nothing else comes close as a web browser or in playing videos. Nothing else has the touch screen. It's not quite up there with handling email, but for the price of an iPod I think it's a very good device.
hmmm.. I wonder why so many people were so enthused to buy the iPhone pronto without scrutinizing first what it could really do. Their advertising hype must have worked pretty well huh?

Don’t get me wrong. I am a certfied Mac & Apple lover. My romance with Steve Jobs’ gizmos started in school when I became a trainee in Citibank where we were using Apple computers and later became a part of the group that developed their worldwide network called CitiFlash.

We all grew up using Apple computers which we hold close to our hearts.
But NOT with the iPhone. DEFINITELY NOT.

Presently, I am trader in East Asia, based in Hongkong, and go around East Asia regularly.
My celebrated iPhone 3G turned to be a very primitive gadget compared to all my other mobile phones.

Here’s what I get from my other handheld cellphones:
I can watch a sci-fi movie; get a steady stream of stock market quotes; look at a map of the epicenter of a recent earthquake, pay my bills, send money to my son's phone .. yes, I get all at those at the same time without using the internet.

For my business, I often make calls to my clients and show them my products on real-time using the phone video-camera. My metro-rail ride is paid at the turnstile by simply beaming my phone on the sensor. Even in “backward countries” like the Philippines, Malaysia, & Thailand, I pay for what I buy at the shopping malls using my mobile phone. I can get a fix on the present location of my loved ones without calling them. I can also transfer funds to and from banks. Any of these, my iPhone 3G cannot do.

Whenever I use my iPhone 3G, I always have to hurriedly put the phone back to my bag as people stare at me with a quizzical expression on their faces - with knitted eyebrows !!

People here have plenty of very nice mobiles phones, all brands with touchscreens - Samsung, DoCoMo, Sony, Xilibri, LG, Sanyo, and other brands, whose names are written in Japanese and/or Korean, which obviously I cannot spell – but all are FAR SUPERIOR to the iPoney at half the price..

Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuLioBanderas View Post
hmmm.. I wonder why so many people were so enthused to buy the iPhone pronto without scrutinizing first what it could really do. Their advertising hype must have worked pretty well huh?

Don’t get me wrong. I am a certfied Mac & Apple lover. My romance with Steve Jobs’ gizmos started in school when I became a trainee in Citibank where we were using Apple computers and later became a part of the group that developed their worldwide network called CitiFlash.

We all grew up using Apple computers which we hold close to our hearts.
But NOT with the iPhone. DEFINITELY NOT.

Presently, I am trader in East Asia, based in Hongkong, and go around East Asia regularly.
My celebrated iPhone 3G turned to be a very primitive gadget compared to all my other mobile phones.

I can watch a sci-fi movie; get a steady stream of stock market quotes; look at a map of the epicenter of a recent earthquake, pay my bills, send money to my son's phone .. yes, I get all at those at the same time without using the internet.

For my business, I often make calls to my clients and show them my products on real-time using the phone video-camera. My metro-rail ride is paid at the turnstile by simply beaming my phone on the sensor. Even in “backward countries” like the Philippines, Malaysia, & Thailand, I pay for what I buy at the shopping malls using my mobile phone. I can get a fix on the present location of my loved ones without calling them. I can also transfer funds to and from banks. Any of these, my iPhone 3G cannot do.

Whenever I use my iPhone 3G, I always have to hurriedly put the phone back to my bag as people stare at me with a quizzical expression on their faces - with knitted eyebrows !!

People here have plenty of very nice mobiles phones, all brands with touchscreens - Samsung, DoCoMo, Sony, Xilibri, LG, Sanyo, and other brands, whose names are written in Japanese and/or Korean, which obviously I cannot spell – but all are FAR SUPERIOR to the iPoney at half the price..
I was referring to what's available in the US. Of course East Asia is far ahead of us in phones. It's apples to oranges.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I can watch a sci-fi movie; get a steady stream of stock market quotes; look at a map of the epicenter of a recent earthquake, pay my bills, send money to my son's phone .. yes, I get all at those at the same time without using the internet. [/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Arial]For my business, I often make calls to my clients and show them my products on real-time using the phone video-camera. My metro-rail ride is paid at the turnstile by simply beaming my phone on the sensor. Even in “backward countries” like the Philippines, Malaysia, & Thailand, I pay for what I buy at the shopping malls using my mobile phone. I can get a fix on the present location of my loved ones without calling them. I can also transfer funds to and from banks. Any of these, my iPhone 3G cannot do.
You can watch a movie on the iphone without the internet LOL and im more confused at how you can get market quotes and pay bills without internet. you need internet service to up to date info service. Well im not sure about cell phone and unless your phone has a thermometer how can it check it have the weather without the internet. And if you have an iPhone you should know about the app store. About price i dont know how much they are selling it over there but over here its only $200

Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
pay my bills, send money to my son's phone

My metro-rail ride is paid at the turnstile by simply beaming my phone on the sensor. Even in “backward countries” like the Philippines, Malaysia, & Thailand, I pay for what I buy at the shopping malls using my mobile phone. I can get a fix on the present location of my loved ones without calling them. I can also transfer funds to and from banks.
I'm so jealous, lol. I'd love to do this w/ my beloved blackberry. Here in the states, my bank only lets people w/ at & t and verizon do online banking w/ them. We don't have the capabilities yet to do the other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones