Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:45 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times

Advertisements

iPhone includes app 'kill switch,' Jobs admits

Not. What I put on my phone that I paid for is MY business. Not apple's.

Thank goodness for Blackberry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
iPhone includes app 'kill switch,' Jobs admits

Not. What I put on my phone that I paid for is MY business. Not apple's.

Thank goodness for Blackberry!
Its Steve's device. You may use it as he sees fit. This applies to any Apple product.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
A kill switch should be included in the iPhone's administrative tools, not set by Apple through a URL, Storms said.
I agree with this guy.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Right, because malware would NEVER disable administrative functions, right?

Last edited by Naptowner; 08-12-2008 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Right, because malware would NEVER disable administrative functions, right?
If it could then the IPhone is not a hardened device and is not ready for business use. Gaining Admin rights should not be an easy thing that malware could do.

This makes the iPhone look admittedly bad when it is trying to push their product at the business level.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Over priced piece of junk. Why would I ever buy one?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Over priced piece of junk. Why would I ever buy one?
Because it's vastly superior in many areas to any other smart phone. Nothing else comes close as a web browser or in playing videos. Nothing else has the touch screen. It's not quite up there with handling email, but for the price of an iPod I think it's a very good device.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:06 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I have absolutely no need to browse the Internet on my phone. It's a phone! I do not want people sending me stupid emails full of idiot jokes, and "pass this along or soldiers will die in Iraq" crap on it. It's a phone! If you can't take the time to call me or leave a voice mail then whatever you have to say isn't that important so texting is a waste of my time and money. It's a phone! Playing videos? How about reading a book if you're bored?

It's a phone, not an entertainment center! How boring is a persons life that they need Internet access, videos, etc, on their phone!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have absolutely no need to browse the Internet on my phone. It's a phone! I do not want people sending me stupid emails full of idiot jokes, and "pass this along or soldiers will die in Iraq" crap on it. It's a phone! If you can't take the time to call me or leave a voice mail then whatever you have to say isn't that important so texting is a waste of my time and money. It's a phone! Playing videos? How about reading a book if you're bored?

It's a phone, not an entertainment center! How boring is a persons life that they need Internet access, videos, etc, on their phone!
But that's just the thing. The iPhone is an entertainment center that happens to have a phone in it. Good for you if you don't want or need something like that. I wish I could get by with a barebones cell, but I don't have the luxury of not being aware of business emails when I'm out of the office, and I need similar access to my calendar, which I keep on my computer.

Beyond that, I'm not pretending that I need most of the functions available on the iPhone. It's convenient to have a calculator and a camera with me. It's nice to have quasi-GPS and to pull up maps if I'm looking for an address. But please don't accuse me of having a boring life because I like to watch a video newscast or quickly check the price of something online while I'm out shopping.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
I have a cheap cell phone with the pay as you go program. If I wasn't waiting for job interviews, I wouldn't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones