Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times

Advertisements

I am interested in hearing from owners of the Iphone. I am thinking of purchasing one although not the newest one.
Can owners that have them share some of their experiences?

I'm not concerned about dropped calls because I don't have that problem with my att phone, there is excellent coverage AND from what I have heard the newer Iphone4 is more likely to do this.

I have been thinking of buying the 3rd generation but wonder about the storage that comes with it, I understand there are like 3 different storage sizes. I love the idea of having an Iphone and not needing an Ipod.

I am also a facebook addict and now they even have a application so I can play one of my favorite games over the phone.

I have a friend who has had the 3rd generation, then purchased the Droid phone and ended up returning it and will be getting the 4th generation phone. I'm not sure what she didn't like about it, it certainly could have been that she was just more comfortable with the way the Iphone works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Get a 3GS. 16gb should be enough space.

The 3G doesn't work well with the new operating system, but the 3GS does not have these problems.

The only thing I don't like about my 3GS is the battery life. With the new operating system, I have to charge every night. As long as you charge when you have the chance, you shouldn't have any problems with it though.

I don't own any other Apple products, but I love my iPhone. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am also a facebook addict and now they even have a application so I can play one of my favorite games over the phone.
I am not sure but I would bet that you still won't be able to play the Facebook games on your iPhone. You will be able to post status, reply to people, add people, write on walls... that kind of thing. But for full game functionality? I doubt it. The games are either written in Java or Flash.... neither of which is supported on iPhone and as far as Flash is concerned: never will be according to Jobs.
The Droid does not either. Yet. New update out this week for the 'old' Droids will add Flash. Not sure if games will run on it yet.
So if you want the iPhone to play Facebook games: don't get it for that.
If you want the iPhone to replace your iPod, then you should go with iPhone. The music player on that is better then Droid. Also if you already have an iPod and you buy music from iTunes, the functionality between iTunes and iPhone is just going to be easier for you.
I think of it like this: the iPhone is an iPod that has a phone added to it. The Droid is a phone that had a music player added to it. The music player on Droid feels like a hasty add-on.
But I do like that I can add a memory card to my Droid. I currently have 12 gigabytes of music on my Droid. If I run out I can add a 32GB card. If you run out on an iPhone: you need a new phone.

I am that rare Droid person that doesn't hate iPhone. To each his own I say. I do love my Droid though.

Last edited by Peregrine; 08-02-2010 at 08:33 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 08:28 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
They call these devices "phones" but in truth they are nothing less than "toys" for adults.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
They call these devices "phones" but in truth they are nothing less than "toys" for adults.

Right! And it's about damn time, too.
hehehehehe

Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
I have the 3GS and I love it. It is so many tools in one and is especially handy with me traveling as much as I do for work. I call it a "great tool" with phone capabilities. I do use the iPod part of it and you wouldn't believe how many songs I have on it and it still has loads of room. It is my music player, my GPS, my game toy, my camera, my email, my facebook, my memo pad and mostly, my connection to the world when I am at work.

I found it easy to learn how to use and do things on, even for a old foggie like me.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:46 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
If you're in a good coverage are you most likely won't experience the problem that some iPhone 4 owners are having, those occur in poor coverage areas. I'm new to AT&T and the iPhone but the only time it dropped a call was when I was in an elevator (I have an iPhone 4). Apple said it drops less than 1% of calls compared to the 3GS. But it's up to you to decide, you said you're interested in the 3GS but just a heads up, the 3GS (3rd Generation) only comes in 8GB now, it used to come in 16GB & 32GB but those bases are now covered by the new one. What's the memory on your iPod?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
consider a droid

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Thelatest word is that the iPhone 5 may be released in January.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM

39 posts, read 115,807 times
Do you need your own laptop to download songs onto ITunes on the Iphone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones