Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

Many state have passed laws banning cell phone use while driving.

State Cell Phone Driving Laws

Now comes a device that is intended to camouflage the cell phone from prying eyes. The day will come when possessing an active cell phone while driving is a felony. This device is designed for that time.

I call your attention to Model #PPR-RBT1 at the bottom of the page.

What's New ?

This device is......both cell phone and CB radio one in the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:41 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
I fail to see what is so "wrong" about being able to communicate while driving. Truckers have been doing it for decades. What is needed is education and training and practice, not a new host of non-violent crimes.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Many state have passed laws banning cell phone use while driving.

State Cell Phone Driving Laws

Now comes a device that is intended to camouflage the cell phone from prying eyes. The day will come when possessing an active cell phone while driving is a felony. This device is designed for that time.

I call your attention to Model #PPR-RBT1 at the bottom of the page.

What's New ?

This device is......both cell phone and CB radio one in the same!
In the past week I have seen four people turn right without stopping at a stop sign first, I have seen two people pass in non-passing zones and I have even witnessed the "idiot of the year" passing two cars on the right hand shoulder. As I travel to work on a daily basis, I would estimate that 80 percent of the cars are exceeding the speed limit.

Obviously people do not give a rip about traffic laws, so I hardly think that cell phone bans will make much of an impact.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why would anyone need a device like that? In another 5 years Bluetooth will be as common as power windows in cars. It works with the radio speakers and it's no different than talking to another passenger in the car.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM

51 posts, read 87,832 times
I think talking on a phone while driving is alright IF you have a headset/bluetooth on. Certain drivers are reckless while they talk/text...

I've been guilty of texting while driving and have almost gotten into a few accidents, thank God I didn't, and I've gotten better

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
a friend of my dad's had a cb radio/cell phone combo in 1986. the number pad was on the handset. its nothing new.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
A local Atlanta news station is starting a push to get folks to shut-it when driving: Texting and Driving Test - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=140782&catid=40 - broken link)

Fact is, regardless of what you think you can do, you cannot (and should not) talk/text and drive. When you drive, you should drive and that's it. Period. Many people will say, "I can do both", but those same people would be the first in front of a news camera freaking out if it was their kid who died by being hit by a cell user - so, think about what you might do to someone else if not yourself.

Car makers need to jump on the bandwagon now and incorporate a universal device that automatically syncs up with your phone's bluetooth the moment you sit in the car, so at least people will stop holding the things up to their ears to talk/dial while driving. As long as you leave it up to people to fiddle with the phone to activate it on their own, they won't. It needs to be an automated device that gives you no choice - when you sit in the car, it's on and your handset won't work as a handset. When you leave, it deactivates. You have to force common sense sometimes.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Yeah, because taking options away from the people is the perfect universal solution for every problem. The passenger, the person stopped on the side of the road, the kids in the back, and the deaf appreciate their useless handset when they are in the car.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
My car has:
DVD player
Radio with mp3, multiple cd, multiple AM/FM, opportunities.
Many Cup holders
Power ports for electronics, including GPS
Map Pockets
Reading lights
HVAC with various controls
Windows that allow operation while I drive
A data center that will let me access current information, MPG, compass, and Lord only knows what else.

I can go to drive-through windows for carry out food, obviously meant for eating in the car.

Passengers are allowed to talk to me.

Where are the specific laws for that crap?
I mean, in my last fender bender, I rear-ended a guy while reaching over to pick up a road map on the seat.
Should maps be therefore disallowed in cars?

Scarmig is right.
I think there is a hysteria in the land amongst the citizenry to forfeit all of our rights, small and large, in any way we can so as to feel warm and cuddly in the embrace of gubmint.

Reckless driving existed a long, long time before cell phones were invented.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My car has:
DVD player
Radio with mp3, multiple cd, multiple AM/FM, opportunities.
Many Cup holders
Power ports for electronics, including GPS
Map Pockets
Reading lights
HVAC with various controls
Windows that allow operation while I drive
A data center that will let me access current information, MPG, compass, and Lord only knows what else.

I can go to drive-through windows for carry out food, obviously meant for eating in the car.

Passengers are allowed to talk to me.

Where are the specific laws for that crap?
I mean, in my last fender bender, I rear-ended a guy while reaching over to pick up a road map on the seat.
Should maps be therefore disallowed in cars?

Scarmig is right.
I think there is a hysteria in the land amongst the citizenry to forfeit all of our rights, small and large, in any way we can so as to feel warm and cuddly in the embrace of gubmint.

Reckless driving existed a long, long time before cell phones were invented.
If people had to follow the rules that govern pilots most of them would not have a drivers license after the first year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones