U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 AM

24,155 posts, read 24,558,111 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info...... Just waiting for Wally World to restock their shelves.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:17 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,374,910 times
There is more to it than cost/minute, though. Depending on what area you are in with some particular phone, you may or may not have good cell coverage. As far as I know, the only way to find out is by experience. But if you are following interstate highways, I think you are probably OK.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 AM

I'm on the east coast of Florida.... Hoping to move on in 2009 to Tennessee. The phone I was looking at is compatible for both zip codes... But the zip codes between here and their I would presume as you say staying on or near the Interstate should be no problem. I've been very reluctant to get any sort of cell phone,my work requires me to be available 24/7. Just less hassle to use the land line, "BUT" that's gotten ridiculous on the price..... I guess that's their motive chase every one off land lines to cellular then they can control that like they control the land lines....

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,822,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I'm on the east coast of Florida.... Hoping to move on in 2009 to Tennessee. The phone I was looking at is compatible for both zip codes... But the zip codes between here and their I would presume as you say staying on or near the Interstate should be no problem. I've been very reluctant to get any sort of cell phone,my work requires me to be available 24/7. Just less hassle to use the land line, "BUT" that's gotten ridiculous on the price..... I guess that's their motive chase every one off land lines to cellular then they can control that like they control the land lines....
Many of the providers have coverage maps you may want to check out. The other useful thing about cell over landline is that you get voice mail with pretty much all cell phone accounts. You should check this for the plans you are interested in.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 PM

1,395 posts, read 7,307,179 times
the basic Tracfone has voice male and texting

Old 11-08-2008, 09:23 PM

No texting for me... severe rheumatoid arthritis and I prefer a "female" voice in my mail.....

Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,813,327 times
Check out Virgin Mobile. They have a chart that allows you to compare rates/services. I've been with them for five years and they just get better and better. Now, they'll even roll over unused minutes if you're on the "pay as you go" rate. I am VERY pleased with VM service.

Don't be put off by the "trendiness," LOL. It's marketed toward young people but it's an awesome service for everyone.

Prepaid Cell Phone Service and Pay as You Go from Virgin Mobile ® USA - Official Site

Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 AM

291 posts, read 1,971,168 times
The cell companies don't make it easy for us. Net10 is good for people who use around 300 minutes per month, because that's what they charge you for, whether you use it or not. Since your usage is closer to 150 minutes (in the cellular world there is no difference between "local" and "long distance" minutes) you need a service that lets you pay only for the minutes you use.

The Best deal by far is T-mobile To Go which does not expire for 1 year, and at that time all minutes roll over with as little as a $10 refill. The smart way to start is with a $100 minute purchase which gives you a real .10 per minute charge (local or long distance) and the 1 year expiration. A good 2nd choice in your area is Alltel U, which has better coverage in Florida.

Before you choose a carrier, check their Coverage Locators for service in both your current and future homes. Both T-Mobile and Alltel U phones are available at Wal-Mart, Target and Walgreens, as well as online and their own stores.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,302,754 times
I would go with AT&T Go Phone or Alltel...
Alltel i bought a phone for 29.99 and i get free text,nights & weekends,etc
For about 30$ a Month.If im not using my free mins its 10 cents a minute.
Its Alltels pre-pay plan you choose 3 or 4 options for 1$ a day.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,623,847 times
I've had a go phone for over a year now with no hassles. I got the phone free and bought a year's worth of air time for about one hundred dollars. I only use it about once a month and haven't had any issues.

My teenagers needed a cell phone so I got them a tracfone with one year's worth of service and it came with a doubler card. This was really a great deal for about one hundred dollars you can get a year's worth of service and double the minutes for free. This was an even better deal than the go phone. I'd definitely go with the one year of service card so you don't have to hassle with
refilling it all the time. Circuit city now has a tracfone for $27.99 that includes a doubler card and free shipping. You might want to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones