U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,599,336 times

Advertisements

I'm with Teatime on VirginMobile. I got the Slice phone free and pay only 6.99 monthly plus 10cents per minute. I added 30 text msgs for 2bucks a month.

Here's the kick... VirginMobile leases time from SPRINT... so if you're on VirginMobile, you're on Sprint. I had Sprint for ten years with never any problems anywhere in the country. Well, from LA to Dallas to DC To NYC to Tampa. Just no longer needed to pay the $50 a month for something I use for about ten minutes a month. And my charge is set to auto top up thru PayPal when my fund drops below 20 bucks.

And... And, VM has a program where you can view ads on the internet and get a free minute, up to 75 per month. So, I can view up to 75 ads and get free air time for my trouble.

The Slice is a voice/text only phone but small and thin. It handles well in my hand. I'm going to upgrade to the Super Slice to get the BlueTooth and Cam soon as they have some special on it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM

24,155 posts, read 24,578,924 times
I got the Tracfone, In process of figuringout how to work it, Bear Cub with huge hands!!! I set up a voice mail box what a mistake!! I've only used the phone several times, I checked the Voice Mail Box and it was full of spam!!!! I have written Tracfone on how to either block or glean numbers I got a half baked answer, wrote back wanting to know how to close down the Voice Mail box..... Still waiting.
Any one that has a Tracfone how do you "turn off " or "close" you Voice Mail Box or "Block" inbound numbers...... way to techno for me .....

Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 8,493,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I'm with Teatime on VirginMobile. I got the Slice phone free and pay only 6.99 monthly plus 10cents per minute. I added 30 text msgs for 2bucks a month ... I'm going to upgrade to the Super Slice to get the BlueTooth and Cam soon as they have some special on it.
Here it is I just got the Super Slice that came with $20 free air time, plus on sale for $39.99. I don't text or web, so I got the $6.99 a month plus 10cents per minute plan. I got the voice mail screwed up initially, but quickly had the problem resolved via a couple of emails. If this is what their support is like then I'm already very pleased. Knock on wood I'm not getting any spam yet. Thanks to the folks in this thread for their information and experiences just as I decided to get a cell phone

Super Slice with Camera, Instant Messages & Email : Virgin Mobile

Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,960 times
Default Rosie Bay

I am a very happy Net 10 user with no troubles to speak of. They have the best rates on minutes and with a decent no-frills phone I've had no problems. I don't use one of those flip phones and would'nt recomend one to anyone, there are timy wires running to the screen that can break very easily with all the opening and closing (flipping) or if you drop it, they break very easily. A slide phone or straight forward brick is so much better

Old 12-12-2008, 01:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,869,880 times
Tracfone works for me for basic needs. There is no roaming charge. About $100./yr. Cheap txt msg. Can't beat that.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 PM

24,155 posts, read 24,578,924 times
I got one of those flip phone, I see what you mean, live and learn..... also my hands are like bear cubs paws along with trifocals............ so much fun getting old..........

Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,960 times
Hay Tinman Do you have Tracfone or Net10? Tracfones are so cheap that it's easy to get a new phone if yours is a problem, they have some with bigger buttons for big handed men (who said that smaller is better anyway)

Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,152 times
Can I activate and use my brand new Verizon LG Optimus Zone 2 NO-Contract Phone with Tracfone without any problems?

Old 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,064,067 times
hoytel2332, you cant use an unlocked or locked phone with tracfone. you have to use one of their branded phones at this time. That said, I have used tracfones for years, and have never had problems in any area I have lived. Have always had great reception. At this time, the phones to get have TRIPLE minutes for life, not double. One of the best places to get a tracfone deal, after much searching, in my opinion, is HSN. They have the newer phones, triple minutes, and often come with 1200-1500 annualized minutes, and you get the phone, the triple minutes for life, and the 1200-1500 minutes for less than the cost of 1200 annualized minutes on the Tracfone site.

when i get tired of my tracfones, i just get a new one. i have never ported a number, though, which I understand is often difficult with tracfone.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:25 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,683,696 times
I've been a tracfone user for maybe a decade now. I had simple flip phones for a long time. Now I have a ZTE Valet (Verizon) smartphone. I have been happy with it. It's a $50 android phone but works well enough.

I also keep a LG840g (AT&T touchscreen feature phone) going for my SO to use. He makes maybe one call on it per month.

Some phones are AT&T, others are Verizon. There may be other carriers that Tracfone works on too. I had good phone signal most places, even when travelling around the country. Occasionally I have found a town that I didn't get a signal in. We usually travel with both phones so at least one of them works.

My favorite place to buy tracfone phones and minutes cards is shopcelldeals on ebay. Sometimes you can get the good deal on minutes when they sell the card with an older model phone for a huge discount. I use the minutes card on my own phone and donate the phone I got with the order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones