Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times

Advertisements

No one responded to my post about Verizon's worry free guarantee. So my guess is no one has used it.

But if you were me what would you do:

I followed the guarantee's instructions. I called the 1800# listed to 'request the ETF be waived'. The guy said he never heard of this and declined to waive the ETF.

Hmmm....

anyone?

Didn't Verizon just get sued over the ETFs a while back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Did you invoke an agreement containing an 'early termination fee'? Do you know the date it started? Do you know the date it ended? Did you agree to the terms when it originated?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 AM

Yes, I printed the agreement out from the verizon's site and have followed EVERY item to the T. Some things felt like jumping through hoops but I met the conditions.

Just this last thing of the ETF. Seems like the folks answering that specific # (the one you are required to use) don't know or say they don't know- when they do. Is this another 'left hand doesn't know what the right is doing'?

I'm just gonna contact the BBB and the attorney general's office. These are the standards when filing consumer complaints. Wish me luck!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 AM

712 posts, read 2,145,513 times
You might consider flagging the phone experts at howardforums.com too..

I know from reading there for example my phone provider sprint.. responds better to BBB complaints then actually customer service complaints at least I believe I recall reading that..

My person opinion of verizon having been there customer for 4 years is there a greedy ass company.. and that there great marketing slogan “best network” is a bit of lie.. as it relies on roaming partners

Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 AM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
Grace,
I did not see the first post,

Quote:
I got 2 phones and a 2 year contract.

It's not quite been 30 days and I've taken the phones to another carrier to 'port' the phone numbers.

What happens now? Does Verizon stick me with tons of fees and bills or do they really honor their agreement?
I have taken advantage of Verizon's "Worry Free Guarantee" more than once and have been satisfied. I don't know exactly what steps "to the letter" you have taken, however, it sounds like you missed something. You cannot exercize the terms of the guarantee by just "porting" your phones. You must contact Verizon Wireless to cancel your contract within the 30-day window. At that time the account is terminated, the phones must be returned and the numbers assigned to you are cancelled. At that time, Verizon credits your purchase price and amount charged for minutes used.

If the numbers are cancelled, you have nothing to "port" to another carrier. If you have "taken the phones to another carrier to 'port' the phone numbers", as you stated, without cancelling, you are still a customer and are still subject to Verizon's Terms of Service.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:50 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
This is correct. To get the 30 day satisfaction guarantee, you have to return the phones and cancel the lines. Verizon will not allow you to keep the phones unless you paid full retail cost for them. The new carrier will give you new numbers and new phones.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 AM

I go by what's in writing...not what someone verbally tells me. I emailed Verizon for clarification and then used what they said as part of it. But what the hold up is they have put in writing twice that I must call this phone #, since I did not purchase my phones from verizon. I've called that certain number. I documented the date, time, and person who answered and what they said. And then I reported this to Verizon in a letter.

Even without the contract, Verizon failed from the first day to provide service as our contract stated. Luckily my account is documented with numerous service calls. After giving them ample opportunity to provide me service, they failed and thus I did everything outlined in their worry free guarantee.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that other forum. In the fine print it does say it can take Verizon up to 6 weeks to provide the credit. So I'll just keep disputing it in writing and maybe they will waive them like they are supposed to...when they get around to it in 5 weeks 6 days.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:32 AM

712 posts, read 2,145,513 times
It sounds like you have weird and unwarranted circumstances..

You will probably get your refund if you hassle them enough.. there customer service is excellent.. (last I checked) and while there billing sucks somewhat.. I left in 2007 with my contract ended.. they still charged me a ETF which they did refund..

Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
since I did not purchase my phones from verizon. I've called that certain number.
This adds a whole new level of complexity. If you buy from a re-seller, they have rules of their own, and they are often not as generous as Verizon's. You may be stuck and it's not Verizon's fault. They will honor their guarantee, but you need to deal with the source of your phones.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
I think the OP is making this much more complicated then it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones