Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,444,943 times

Advertisements

Calling a cellphone a mere phone seems a little silly these days. The little pocket wonders now do so much they are really handheld computers. With extras. The process of mashing one or more gadgets together in the same box used to be called convergence, but that approach quietly died as the mobile phone ate up any and every rival device.

Five Gadgets That Were Killed by the Cellphone | Gadget Lab from Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,903,366 times
I disagree with the camera, phone cameras are still pretty limited compared to full featured cameras, and I believe Apple's iPod sales are still good.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,988,390 times
Ipod sales are good, and there should be a market for a lightweight, ultraportable mp3 player for quite some time simply because people like to listen to music while they work out. On the other hand, the cost of an iphone is about the same as a regular ipod, albeit one with larger storage capacity. I think it's more accurate to say that phones will cut into the mp3 player market, not "kill" it.

Same thing with the camera. I have put off buying a replacement battery for my digital point and shoot since it's much easier just to bring my phone with me, but for any events where I would make a point to bring a camera, the standalone camera is much better, takes clearly superior pictures and video, and has a lot better flash. If anything, camera phones have increased the number of pictures I take more than they have cut into my camera use.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM

526 posts, read 1,055,007 times
the phone replacing laptops maybe, but as for the screen im not to sure, im only 19, and i dont want to stare at a 3 inch display all day, i like my 17" and 19" in due time im sure the display hookup will be as big as a headphone jack if not smaller to hook a regular screen to a cellular phone
we made it this far with technology we can only go farther
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones