Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

I have had it trying to straighten out my AT&T cell phone bills. I've been trying since January to fix the problem that started when I upgraded my service on two phones and I am done. My first bill after upgrading to include unlimited text messages for an additional $30 a month was over $1500!

While trying to have corrections made, I have had to give my entire ss number on a threeway, once they waived the late fee for incorrect charges that they reversed, stating the reason as "death in the family". They refuse to provide me with a print out of the details of all the calls that I have made to them, so I can't even identify why they have never gotten this right.

I want to cancel the contract, pay the prorated amount up to the day of cancellation, but want to fight the $150 per line early termination fee.

Can anyone lead me to a website that discusses things like this? I want to make sure that I include everything that I should in the cover letter. I have a spreadsheet of charges and payments and copies from my bank of all payments made that I will include in the letter. Also, what government authority regulates cell phones. I am going to copy them with my correspondence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I have had it trying to straighten out my AT&T cell phone bills. I've been trying since January to fix the problem that started when I upgraded my service on two phones and I am done. My first bill after upgrading to include unlimited text messages for an additional $30 a month was over $1500!

While trying to have corrections made, I have had to give my entire ss number on a threeway, once they waived the late fee for incorrect charges that they reversed, stating the reason as "death in the family". They refuse to provide me with a print out of the details of all the calls that I have made to them, so I can't even identify why they have never gotten this right.

I want to cancel the contract, pay the prorated amount up to the day of cancellation, but want to fight the $150 per line early termination fee.

Can anyone lead me to a website that discusses things like this? I want to make sure that I include everything that I should in the cover letter. I have a spreadsheet of charges and payments and copies from my bank of all payments made that I will include in the letter. Also, what government authority regulates cell phones. I am going to copy them with my correspondence.
They are going to charge you the $150 per line. You cannot fight it. They are a big monster corporation and you are just a little tiny person. I went through my own hell with Cingular after they bought ATT Wireless of which I was a faithful customer for 8 years.
You do have an alternative which is to cede the contract- and the phone- to somebody else who will take it over:

Consumerist - Sell Your Cellphone Contract To Escape It - Cancellations

Old 06-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks, Kev.

Are cell ohne companies regulated by the FCC?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Kev.

Are cell ohne companies regulated by the FCC?
Yes. They are regulated by the FCC

Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Yep;you signed a contract. Pay the fee as its cheaper that getting credit hit or hiring a lawyer.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 24,208 times
Hello,
Pay the fee and make the switch over to Buzzirk Mobile.
Unlimited everything-no contracts, no credit checks & month to month
http://:www.BuzzirkMobileTeam.com (broken link)

Old 07-12-2009, 04:56 AM

I wrote the CEO a letter and explained the situation. It was professional, not nasty. I asked that the accounts be closed and the termination fees waived. I have literally spent hours and hours trying to get this straightened out the past seven months. Will see what kind of response I get.

If he isn't willing to waive the fees, I might post his response to various websites. I'll pay the two fees and do without phones for two months to stay within my budget. And I will follow up with a complaint to the FCC and my state attorney general who, I have found, has something on his website about how to get out of paying third-party billing fees. Hopefully it will cost AT&T more than the lousy $300 they will get from the two termination fees and give me about $300 worth of satisfaction.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I wrote the CEO a letter and explained the situation. It was professional, not nasty. I asked that the accounts be closed and the termination fees waived. I have literally spent hours and hours trying to get this straightened out the past seven months. Will see what kind of response I get.

If he isn't willing to waive the fees, I might post his response to various websites. I'll pay the two fees and do without phones for two months to stay within my budget. And I will follow up with a complaint to the FCC and my state attorney general who, I have found, has something on his website about how to get out of paying third-party billing fees. Hopefully it will cost AT&T more than the lousy $300 they will get from the two termination fees and give me about $300 worth of satisfaction.
You don't think Ralph is really going to read your letter do you? He isn't. Some underling will read it and send you back a pre wrote reply.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I recently switched from Verizon to AT&T. I originally left AT&T because they charged me long distance and roaming after I added it to my plan (via a live person) and upped my contract another 12 months, and my bill was around $180 when it should have been around $45, and they refused to budge.

I tried the iPhone and was calling AT&T about my billing and querying them how it works when I leave them (again). Much to my surprised they didn't tack on the text messaging plan that I had asked for. Yay. So now we will be paying $0.40/text (one sent/one received) between my wife and I. I can't wait to see that bill. I really can't stand that company. In 6 years I have never had ANY issues with Verizon billing. The iPhone was cool but AT&T flat out SUCKS.

I really wish when you ordered a cell phone plan they would print out EXACTLY what you ordered therefore you won't have any issues come bill time. But that wouldn't work in your favor.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 AM

109 posts, read 249,382 times
Quote:

Just pay the $150 per line. You just dropped $1500, an extra $300 probaly wont kill you. Start from scratch. Spend the time and do some shopping for the best deal.

Ask yourself some logical questions like, "do i need to get on the internet with my phone?" If you don't, get a prepaid phone. I find it cheaper to get unlimited text messages and a lower minute plan. Then again I don't know what you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones