U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 5,170,933 times
Reputation: 652

Advertisements

Did they just give her someone's old number to quickly? What is the best advice on this? Go get a new number?

Whoever had it before was getting calls from a collection agency so now my wife has gotten the message 2 times today about visiting a website to make a payment.

Go to the provider and immediately request a new number? It's fairly annoying getting these calls.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,049 posts, read 64,418,401 times
Reputation: 37093
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Did they just give her someone's old number to quickly? What is the best advice on this? Go get a new number?

Whoever had it before was getting calls from a collection agency so now my wife has gotten the message 2 times today about visiting a website to make a payment.

Go to the provider and immediately request a new number? It's fairly annoying getting these calls.
LOL
Been there.
I got threatening calls on my fax line. We have a phone on the line as a back up phone, so we got ominous voicemails.
It went on for about 6 weeks.

"Too quick" may not be a factor. Scavenger collection firms buy old debts for pennies on the dollar and scrape whatever they can from them, legally or illegally.
It will abate in time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,454,921 times
Reputation: 2165
I've got the same thing. I swear the number was had by a drug dealer who is now in jail and that';s why it was freed up. The calls do not necessarily abate in time. 11 months later after telling these people that Carlos will never answer this phone because it is not his number anymore and I still get the calls regularly. Irritating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,049 posts, read 64,418,401 times
Reputation: 37093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've got the same thing. I swear the number was had by a drug dealer who is now in jail and that';s why it was freed up. The calls do not necessarily abate in time. 11 months later after telling these people that Carlos will never answer this phone because it is not his number anymore and I still get the calls regularly. Irritating.
Call the cops.
See if you can offer them the phone to help pick up some of the callers.

Public service and all that.

Wow. 11 months is a long time to tolerate that crap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM
 
28,717 posts, read 42,587,471 times
Reputation: 37653
New number. If they won't give her one, new phone company. I wouldn't put up with it for more than a day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
ECG
 
Location: In the minds of others
42,606 posts, read 2,578,584 times
Reputation: 10410
Place the number in the do "DO NOT CALL LIST"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
 
8,648 posts, read 15,982,525 times
Reputation: 4595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Place the number in the do "DO NOT CALL LIST"
That doesn't work on debt collectors...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,454,921 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Call the cops.
See if you can offer them the phone to help pick up some of the callers.

Public service and all that.

Wow. 11 months is a long time to tolerate that crap.
I have zero actual proof of that so I doubt the cops would be interested even if I'm right. I don't think the do not call list would work since the people calling are not selling anything. They just don't give up on the number despite being told a 100 times that Carlos doesn't have the number anymore and please quit calling. I also get recorded information messages from a school. Having someone's old number is irritating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top