Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:40 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
And this:

"they'd make a lot more money by letting other carriers have the iphone also"

won't work unless Apple makes a new version of the iPhone for the CDMA networks (which it could certainly do, I suppose) - but again, I took that to mean the poster thought Apple could sell the phones it is currently making on other networks if it wanted to.
I know that Verizon would have to have its own version of the iphone. However, if RIM can do it, there's no reason Apple can't also.

As to why people would switch? Simple - AT&T sucks.

Four Reasons Why iPhone Owners Hate AT&T - PC World

iPhone owners love Apple's smartphone, hate AT&T, survey says

AT&T considers incentives to curb heavy data usage | Signal Strength - CNET News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM

331 posts, read 498,645 times
Apple would never make a CDMA iPhone. It's simple. Apple has always been the renegade company. They go against the norm. Which is why, when given the choice of what cellular technology to base their product on, they chose GSM, and not the US-native CDMA. (Also because GSM service is available on a greater area of the globe).

Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Apple would never make a CDMA iPhone. It's simple. Apple has always been the renegade company. They go against the norm. Which is why, when given the choice of what cellular technology to base their product on, they chose GSM, and not the US-native CDMA. (Also because GSM service is available on a greater area of the globe).
I read something recently that said there's already a CDMA iPhone in the works, Verizon & Apple are just at odds over the subsidy/price (Apple currently gets $450 from AT&T I think) and they're negotiating it.

A CDMA iPhone would also allow Apple to expand to not just Verizon but tons of other CDMA carriers around the world.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Your post contradicts itself. First, you claim that Apple is a maverick and avoided a CDMA version of the iPhone for that reason. Then you go on to say that Apple chose GSM because of the greater service area.

In reality, Apple is like any other business. Steve Jobs and company want to maximize profits while producing compelling products that people love. If Apple believes that a CDMA version of the iPhone will support that goal, we'll see one. If not, we won't. It's really that simple.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I know that Verizon would have to have its own version of the iphone. However, if RIM can do it, there's no reason Apple can't also.

As to why people would switch? Simple - AT&T sucks.

Four Reasons Why iPhone Owners Hate AT&T - PC World

iPhone owners love Apple's smartphone, hate AT&T, survey says

AT&T considers incentives to curb heavy data usage | Signal Strength - CNET News
I can agree with this. I was a verizon customer for years. I went back and forth on whether to get a Blackberry or iPhone. I have a Mac and love apple products. I decided to switch to AT&T. What a nightmare. I love the phone but the service is awful. I drop calls all the time. It is now a common practice for me to call someone back after dropping them. Also I find myself saying "are you still there?" if the other end gets a little too quiet. I do not know if its the phone itself or the service but my husband never had a problem calling me from work on his verizon phone. Now that we have the iphones he can not call me from inside the plant. He had to walk outside of the building to get service. This is a huge problem for us because I know I can not get a hold of him at work. The last day before our 30 day trial we really thought hard about giving everything back. We decided to stick it out but sometimes I think we made a mistake. It's gonna be a long two years.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I read something recently that said there's already a CDMA iPhone in the works, Verizon & Apple are just at odds over the subsidy/price (Apple currently gets $450 from AT&T I think) and they're negotiating it.

A CDMA iPhone would also allow Apple to expand to not just Verizon but tons of other CDMA carriers around the world.
The vast majority of carriers outside the US use GSM. A CDMA iPhone would not have much of a market outside the US.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I can agree with this. I was a verizon customer for years. I went back and forth on whether to get a Blackberry or iPhone. I have a Mac and love apple products. I decided to switch to AT&T. What a nightmare. I love the phone but the service is awful. I drop calls all the time. It is now a common practice for me to call someone back after dropping them. Also I find myself saying "are you still there?" if the other end gets a little too quiet. I do not know if its the phone itself or the service but my husband never had a problem calling me from work on his verizon phone. Now that we have the iphones he can not call me from inside the plant. He had to walk outside of the building to get service. This is a huge problem for us because I know I can not get a hold of him at work. The last day before our 30 day trial we really thought hard about giving everything back. We decided to stick it out but sometimes I think we made a mistake. It's gonna be a long two years.
Wow I never got a dropped call on my MyTouch, only lost a connection once (today inside a building) and I have a 3G connection at least 90% of the time. I desperately want an iPhone (waiting for the new one in June/July) so I hope it comes to T-Mobile. A lot of people dislike T-Mobile and I don't know why, my only gripe is their current phone selection, the Nexus One is like the only decent phone IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones