Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times

Advertisements

ie the phone itself, not talking about the service provider.

Been shopping online and there are a ton of them, although I can narrow it down a lot as I'm looking for a very basic and cheap/free one (probably with a contact) - not into blackberry-ish because I'm not into getting email on my phone or "texting." Just want a basic phone. All I care about is reliability/quality of reception (I know that's partly the provider too), as good as possible of a battery (holds a charge long time) and the thing generally holding up.

So - ones you have/had that you loved/hated and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
I think you have to pick a provider first. That's going to make a much bigger difference in reception than the phone you pick. Check on each provider's website to see how well they cover you.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
If you don't use a lot of minutes, you might look into a prepaid option. I have one of these from TracFone as a backup, and when I've needed it, I've never had problems with reception, reliability, etc. Battery life is pretty decent. I spent like $15 on the phone at Target, and bought a 1yr airtime card with like 1500 minutes or something for around $100.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I think the provider is the key to quality of reception... not any particular brand of phone.

Since you want one WITHOUT all the bells and whistles, you can pretty much go with anything. Basic phone are equally reliable, IMHO.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
ie the phone itself, not talking about the service provider.

Been shopping online and there are a ton of them, although I can narrow it down a lot as I'm looking for a very basic and cheap/free one (probably with a contact) - not into blackberry-ish because I'm not into getting email on my phone or "texting." Just want a basic phone. All I care about is reliability/quality of reception (I know that's partly the provider too), as good as possible of a battery (holds a charge long time) and the thing generally holding up.

So - ones you have/had that you loved/hated and why?
Yay! It is nice to know there are other people out there who only want their cell phone to make calls.

I have T-Mobile and the Motorola V195s. This is actually the second time I have had this phone and I love it. Reception is great, and the phone is durable. I feel like I could throw it against the wall and it wouldn't break. (Not that it would, but, well, you know what I mean. ) I've always liked Motorolas that weren't the Razr, and this is a great, free phone.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:35 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Wow! Another person out there who uses their cell phone to talk. Well, I must confess, I use my phone as a camera too since I don't own one. But I don't text, download music, check email, play games or any of that.

I have a 3 year old LG VX8100 phone that isn't even offered anymore. Any comparable new phones my provider (Verizon) offers have front and inside (flip phone) screens that are too small compared with my current phone. I really like having a flip phone. There's no "butt dialing"...not that I keep my phone in my pocket but you know what I mean.

About the only reason I'd consider getting a new phone before this one dies is if I could find one with greater battery life or with a greater megapixel camera. But then again, when I searched for phones with great megapixel cameras, they've all got a crapload of other features I don't want and won't use.

Don't know if you're aware of this but some providers will require you to sign a new two year contract if you need to replace your phone before the end of your first two years and the phone wasn't defective.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:26 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I got the free Sony Ericsson W350 from ATT. I like it for the small size, very thin, very easy to slip in a pocket and not notice it's even there. Battery life is great. I've had mine for a year and it's holding up fine, even after I dropped it in the toilet, but I'm not a real heavy user either. I might use a couple hours a week, tops.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 39,526 times
Very surprised to see anything positive about the LG phone.
My company bought 50 LG phones.
48 of them had to be returned because the phones didn't work.
Many had to be returned multiple times.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInPhila View Post
Very surprised to see anything positive about the LG phone.
My company bought 50 LG phones.
48 of them had to be returned because the phones didn't work.
Many had to be returned multiple times.
Really? I'm surprised. My first cellphone was an LG. I had it about 7 years, even accidentally dropping it on pavement about three times and had no problems with it.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 AM

13 posts, read 39,526 times
Hi Kay,
Having gone through what I wrote, I'd say you were a very lucky person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones