Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Apple released an incremental update to its iTunes software Wednesday afternoon, nixing the Palm Pre's ability to sync with the application.

AppleInsider | Apple's iTunes 8.2.1 update kills sync with Palm Pre

From the article; "When it released the update Wednesday, Apple was vague about what benefits version 8.2.1 offered users.
"iTunes 8.2.1 provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices," was all a release note stated."

I read that as; iTunes was updated to prevent the Pre from working with it, sounds like something Microsoft would do does it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
Do I really need to say again how horrible iTunes really is?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Why can't they just play nice with eachother. Things would advance much faster if they did.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Another reason I hate Apple. But "the cult" can't see it.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
I guess I don't see why it's a big deal. If Pre designed the phone with the intent of using a competitor's program to sync music and video, by fooling that program into thinking it was the competitor's device, why is it surprised when the competitor shuts that loophole?

And iTunes blows anyway.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
MP3's in general blow...Lossless is the way to go. MP3's are so 2002

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I guess I don't see why it's a big deal. If Pre designed the phone with the intent of using a competitor's program to sync music and video, by fooling that program into thinking it was the competitor's device, why is it surprised when the competitor shuts that loophole?

And iTunes blows anyway.
Imagine if MS had designed their software to only allow other MS products to be used on it. People would cry foul, petition, and probably get the Government involved. Wait that actually happened.

But when Apple does it, no one cares.

It's hypocritical.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Apple Corp = Arrogant Corp

They are more proprietary and less "open" than anyone similar company.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Imagine if MS had designed their software to only allow other MS products to be used on it. People would cry foul, petition, and probably get the Government involved. Wait that actually happened.

But when Apple does it, no one cares.

It's hypocritical.
It would be hypocritical if I had a big problem with MS or something, but I don't. Although I get your point - when MS uses proprietary technology it's trying to ruin the industry, and when Apple does so, it's just trying to guarantee a great customer experience or something. Although I have an iPhone that I like a lot, I'm not an Apple fan - I just don't understand why this is a big deal. Palm has made devices that sync with PCs for years, and they used to use Palm Desktop to sync, so it's not as though they don't know how to do this. I'm surprised that their "official" method for syncing music and video is to use a program designed to sync up iPhones and ipods. They could have chosen any number of ways to sync the Pre, including drag and drop, or the use of a wide variety of programs like Winamp, etc.

I don't know that much about the Pre, but I would think Palm would sieze the opportunity to be kind of the "anti-iPhone" in terms of making it easy to transfer data between the device and a PC and/or opening up the device to use with programs other than iTunes. My PC knows my iPhone is a hard drive, but Apple has forced me to use iTunes, which blows, to manage any and all transfer of data between the device and my computer, whether it's music, video, photos, phone numbers, and calendar appointments. It would be nice to manage this stuff more directly without having to go through the whole iTunes sync process every time.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Default Palm re-enables iTunes sync in Pre software update

"Palm Inc has escalated its battle with rival Apple Inc, updating the software on its Pre smartphone so that it can again sync with Apple's iTunes media management software."

Palm re-enables iTunes sync in Pre software update by Reuters: Yahoo! Tech

it's so leeching off another company. I'm sure Apple will fix it soon enough.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones