Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 PM

28 posts, read 72,612 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on their service? Faves look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonSet View Post
Thoughts on their service? Faves look good.
Been with them for awhile and had no problems with them. I am there because of Faves and the family plans. I actually work for another cellular company.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM

905 posts, read 2,390,697 times
I have had T-Mo for a while but I hate how so many places I go, like the basement of a certain building and even one half of a grocery store in town I get no service while everybody else does. I really am getting annoyed with being without service in some places and it makes me want to leave. They have good deals on plans though and I won't ever use rip off Verizon.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
Verizon and Sprint are the two CDMA carriers here in the states. T Mobile is GSM. GSM technology is inferior to CDMA and at the typical freq bands that it operates at won't penetrate buildings or basements. Where as Verizon uses a much lower freq band that produces clearer calls, less dropped calls, and has the ability to go thru walls with ease.

"Rip off" Verizon...lol. I suppose it's better to pay for a phone you can't use with T Mobile, even if it's cheaper . Sprint is the cheaper CDMA carrier but their network is severely lacking.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM

905 posts, read 2,390,697 times
Ha yeah it sucks I know. I've been sticking with T-Mo hoping it would get better but it's not. I don't know how good the Sprint network is but maybe I should start shopping around a bit more. I wish T-Mo would just upgrade.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 PM

You really can't "upgrade" from GSM to CDMA. They are competing technologies. If you want a quality network go to Verizon.

My wife had T Mobile and it sounded like she was talking in a bathroom stall all the time. AT&T is marginally better. Sprint's network lacks coverage. There is a reason why Verizon costs the most.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

291 posts, read 2,069,550 times
I would like to extol the virtues of T-Mobile. I regularly use 3 phones, one is T-Mobile. They compare favorably with AT&T and Verizon, but it all depends on where you go. In our area, T-mobile has added lots of sites for "neighborhood" service, and in some places has the only usable service.

Every time I enter the local Rec center, I forward my other phones to the T-Mobile phone...it's the only one that works there. Outside of town, T-Mobile roams in almost as many places as AT&T.

Also, T-Mobile has better coverage for Prepaid than most other Prepaid services, including Verizon's.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Not to thread-jack but one thing about GSM is that GSM phones have a SIM card that you can move from phone to phone, but CDMA phones are typically locked to a particular provider.

I am looking for a new carrier and would prefer to avoid a contract and ideally be able to use an unlocked phone, have been looking at Consumers Cellular (GSM) and at Boost (CDMA) which is a Sprint reseller.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
I
Also, T-Mobile has better coverage for Prepaid than most other Prepaid services, including Verizon's.
That's just not true.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's just not true.
AT&T has the most cell sites. Verizon is in close 2nd, Tmobile is in 3rd but is in the midst of a serious upgrade- at least here in Georgia. Sprint is a distant 4th. The others like Metro and Boost have far fewer towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones