Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

Saw this today -if you bank with USAA you can now deposit a check with your iPhone - you never need to physically turn the check in - very cool and a time saver, but you need to have an account with USAA, insurance and a credit line, I assume for fraud protection.

YouTube - iPhone® USAA Deposit@Mobile Demo

Its amazing how technology like this is rolling out - maybe someday we'll see this with other banks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

YouTube - USAA Deposit@Mobile

Original video no longer works.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times
I saw this the other day. Pretty cool. THey also said that you would have to be approved for it and that they anticipate that about 60% of its members would qualify.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
USAA's financial services aren't very good. Insurance, yes. Banking? Absolutely not.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
USAA's financial services aren't very good. Insurance, yes. Banking? Absolutely not.
Don't know where you heard that, been using USAA forever, and they are great!

In fact, recently I used an ATM at a Wells Fargo (I hate them now) with my USAA card and the machine shorted me $180 and gave me a sheet of forever stamps!! WTF??!!! I went straight into the bank (they know me cause I also banked there) the Head Teller counted the money herself and told me to call my bank because they couldn't do anything about it (it wasn't their debit card).

So USAA puts in the dispute, and Wells Fargo says they owe me NOTHING. They said their *machine* counted it right! Forget that not only the HEAD TELLER said it was wrong, but so did the BANK MANAGER and they STILL wouldn't pay for the error!

You know USAA Gave me the money anyway? they said they know I wasn't lying, and took the loss!

I *love* USAA...and they *are* a great credit union.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:02 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Saw this today -if you bank with USAA you can now deposit a check with your iPhone - you never need to physically turn the check in - very cool and a time saver, but you need to have an account with USAA, insurance and a credit line, I assume for fraud protection.

Its amazing how technology like this is rolling out - maybe someday we'll see this with other banks as well.
Yeah I saw this too. Love it! I am a fan of USAA, They have *always* treated us right.....My parents bank with them, and I have always banked with them....

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
Don't know where you heard that, been using USAA forever, and they are great!
I didn't need to hear it anywhere. It's personal experience.

Their mortgage rates are always higher, their retirement investments are severely lacking, their brokerage accounts are a joke, and without any brick and mortar banks depositing checks as well as additional services like getting things notarized is a PITA (yes I know you can scan them at home with a scanner and software, and no I don't have an iPhone).

USAA should stick to what they do best - insurance. Because now even they are losing the edge on those products.

I keep a limited amount in a USAA account so I can get free $$ from ATM's but honestly with an account from a "big bank" and with cash back I haven't once yet run into a situation where I needed to use it. And I spend 200+ days a year in hotel rooms...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones