Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 12,974 times

Advertisements

android OS is nice i have had a G1 for a year now and no complaints....mine actually got fully submerged in water and the only damage is the volume up button but can change it in options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Has anyone seen these yet? What are your thoughts?
Its supposed to be their iphone killer.
5megapixel camera
Android 2.0 operating system
Nice big screen
full slide out qwerty keyboard
5 words: Iphone. There is no substitute.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Apple's desire to expand beyond AT&T has nothing to do with the Droid or any other phone. Apple knows that a lot of people are reluctant to switch to an iPhone because they don't want to be tied to AT&T's network.

Aren't there two carriers selling Android phones? T-Mobile and Verizon - when the Droid and other phones go on sale in the coming week(s). AT&T will have Android phones soon as well.

The comment about applications doesn't make any sense to me. Apple has no trouble getting way more applications than are needed. That's not an issue and certainly not the reason that Apple wants to get away from AT&T's exclusive contract.

You are flat-out wrong about Apple's days in the cellular industry being numbered.
The problem with Apple's desire is that only ATT and Vzn have the needed bandwidith to properly support the Iphone. There is no way right now that TMobile, Sprint or any of the regional players could really offer data intense services like the Iphone requires.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Unfortunately ATT is not an option here in NYC due to the lack of network capacity and dropped calls. I gave up my iPhone and switched to Verizon.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
Quote:
As much as I hate Verizon, I am ditching AT&T when my contract goes out in a few weeks

Two words - NO SIGNAL

Old 10-29-2009, 08:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,502 times
Quote:
The problem with Apple's desire is that only ATT and Vzn have the needed bandwidith to properly support the Iphone. There is no way right now that TMobile, Sprint or any of the regional players could really offer data intense services like the Iphone requires.
Adding Verizon would create a huge jump in iPhone sales. Way more than all of the other carriers (Sprint, TMobile, etc) combined.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Aren't there two carriers selling Android phones? T-Mobile and Verizon - when the Droid and other phones go on sale in the coming week(s). AT&T will have Android phones soon as well.
Sprint has the Hero, which I am considering. I was almost set on the HTC Touch Pro 2 but still have reservations about Windows Mobile. The reviews on 6.5 are not good and it isn't looking like Windows will get their OS modern anytime soon.

Anyone have experience with the Hero? I just heard Sprint will update it at some point with Android 2.01.One thing I really want is tethering to my computer.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Meh, I just bought an iPhone 3Gs 32GB and I love it so far. I don't like the slide-out keyboards anyway, so I wouldn't have bought a Droid even if they were out. I'm a fan of touchscreens.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually Apple is freaking out. They are trying like hell to get out of their contract with AT&T.

Its like this. Right now only one cell company in the states is selling the Iphone, and only one is selling the Android operating system.

When every carrier starts selling the Android OS, then the number of apps will increase at a far faster rate than Apples is.

Thats why Apple wants out of the exclusivity contrat with AT&T.

Not to mention the fact that Android is going to be on multiple phones, not just one type of phone, where Apple will be confined to the Iphone whatever,

Apples days are numbered in the cellular industry.
I thought both T-Mobile and Sprint (and soon to be Verizon) had Android phones.

Apple's days aren't numbered at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Meh, I just bought an iPhone 3Gs 32GB and I love it so far. I don't like the slide-out keyboards anyway, so I wouldn't have bought a Droid even if they were out. I'm a fan of touchscreens.
I'm a fan of touch screens as well, I'm using a Blackberry Curve + 2G iPod touch combination and I'm looking to get a 32GB iPhone 3GS before the year ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Unfortunately ATT is not an option here in NYC due to the lack of network capacity and dropped calls. I gave up my iPhone and switched to Verizon.
I live in the NYC area as well (Southeast Queens) and I don't see too many people with iPhones so I don't think the network is overloaded (I hope its not), I really want an iPhone 3GS and I haven't heard anything negative about AT&T's network.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I live in the NYC area as well (Southeast Queens) and I don't see too many people with iPhones so I don't think the network is overloaded (I hope its not), I really want an iPhone 3GS and I haven't heard anything negative about AT&T's network.
according to ATT, 30% dropped calls in NYC should be considered "normal"

i have a stoneage motorola razr that is going down the crapper, i think with the droid i finally found a phone that will replace it this weekend

YouTube - Motorola Droid Vs. iPhone 3GS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones