Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times

Advertisements

For as long as I've had a cell phone with texting capablities, I've had some weird thngs happen with incoming messages. Every so often, I'll get the same message from someone 2,3,4 or more times in a row one right after the other. It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.
Also, I've had messages come in then like a week later the same thing will come in again. For example, I JUST got a repeat text my coworker sent wishing me a happy thanksgiving. I got the same message back during thanksgiving day.
Does anyone know what causes that? Does it charge you if you don't have unlimited messaging? Does this even happen to anyone else? Right now I'm on an iPhone with AT&T but I used to have a Motorola Razr on Sprint and it did the same thing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 AM

649 posts, read 1,132,440 times
there was a well publicized situation where Sprint and Verizon didn't talk to each other correctly for text mssgs back in April, I guess stuff like that happens occasionally

Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 AM

68 posts, read 192,694 times
what does sprint and verizon talking to each other have to do with it?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have had that happen too with AT&T and messages sent from other AT&T users...... It still happens in spurts, then don't happen again for awhile.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
I've only had my iPhone 4 for a few weeks, and it's very disturbing when people I regularly text receive random, past text messages that I had sent hours or days ago! They call asking what I meant, and I haven't a clue what they're talking about. It's causing many problems! Can someone tell me what I can do to prevent this??

Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
This is a technical issue that happens more often when sending/receiving text messages to/from other carriers. Best suggestion is to call your carrier's technical support line for troubleshooting. Make sure you call from a different phone other than your cell phone for troubleshooting.

From my experience as a former CS rep for At&t, the system awaits a confirmation that a message has been delivered and will keep attempting to resend the message for a specified time period until it gets that confirmation.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
^^ This is exactly the reason. Basically when a user sends a message in remains in a 'hold' pattern of sorts then delivers the message to the recipient.
Sometimes during heavy congestion and traffic periods or perhaps one base station serving a large area, there can be this delay.

If you can think of a ferris wheel with all red cars and your message being in the only non red car. When it comes time to unload off the car, the message doesnt, the message missed the exit because there are too many messages standing on the platform at your exit.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
This question has always intrigued me. Now I know the answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones