U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 PM

16,242 posts, read 23,278,683 times

Advertisements

The big cell carriers will most likely soon implement data limits on smart phones. You reach your limit and BAM! Your phone just shuts off at the point until your billing cycle ends.
Why are they doing this- simply- the phones have become so popular that they are eating up the capability of the cell networks Phone calls and SMS use very little of the capacity of the network which is why they are getting cheaper at the same time the companies will limit bandwidth to smart phones.
Another problem for the companies is that they are finding adding G4 to the network is often prohibitively expensive or even impossible. One problem they have had is that many towns and cities are balking at giving them permits to install fiber to the tower sites. Most of them now run off T-1 copper lines and the tera bit of G4 would require fiber or over 100 copper T-1 lines- both of which are impractical in many situations.
So enjoy the free unlimited while it last. Won't be here a year from now!

Costs and limits for iPhone tethering revealed - TechSpot News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,843,479 times
I hate to break it to you but that article was referring to tethering: connecting your smart phone to your computer and using it as a modem. AT&T is going to put a 5gb cap on tethered data, and by the looks of this, charge you $30/month for it. Who in their right mind would pay 30 a month for internet with a data cap is beyond me.
But yes, there will still be unlimited data for the phones themselves. I don't think they could just put a cap on it like that without facing a butload of lawsuites from angry customers saying they want unlimited data because that's what they're paying for and that's what it says in their contract.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,814,977 times
Insane. That's what I pay for DSL through AT&T. And you can get a broadband card from Cricket for about that much with no contract and no hard cap, although they supposedly throttle your speed after 5 gigs.

EDIT:

the quoted article is over a year old, so I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 AM

16,242 posts, read 23,278,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I hate to break it to you but that article was referring to tethering: connecting your smart phone to your computer and using it as a modem. AT&T is going to put a 5gb cap on tethered data, and by the looks of this, charge you $30/month for it. Who in their right mind would pay 30 a month for internet with a data cap is beyond me.
But yes, there will still be unlimited data for the phones themselves. I don't think they could just put a cap on it like that without facing a butload of lawsuites from angry customers saying they want unlimited data because that's what they're paying for and that's what it says in their contract.
Here is a much more recent article about how Iphones are causing problems for the AT&T network. The network just cannot handle the capacity anymore and they are going to have to start limiting people. People are really abusing the unlimited plans. They are watching full TV episodes, listening to streaming radio all day and just really using up bandwidth. They even had an ap for Slingbox on the thing until AT&T shut it down on the 3G network! I can tell you that is soon going to come to an end. It might come back someday when the network can finally be upgraded to 4G but not anytime soon. Get ready, it is coming!
Phone Giant Beset by "iHogs" - Barrons.com

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM

11,340 posts, read 19,068,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Here is a much more recent article about how Iphones are causing problems for the AT&T network. The network just cannot handle the capacity anymore and they are going to have to start limiting people. People are really abusing the unlimited plans. They are watching full TV episodes, listening to streaming radio all day and just really using up bandwidth. They even had an ap for Slingbox on the thing until AT&T shut it down on the 3G network! I can tell you that is soon going to come to an end. It might come back someday when the network can finally be upgraded to 4G but not anytime soon. Get ready, it is coming!
Phone Giant Beset by "iHogs" - Barrons.com
I don't think this would be as big of a problem if it was on more carriers, AT&T can't handle the iPhone all by itself. If it was on more carriers there would be more iPhone users than there are now but things would be more balanced. I think Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, & T-Mobile can handle the iPhone together.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 AM

1,941 posts, read 8,848,154 times
verizon is going 4G in 2010 in roughly 30 markets, with rapid nationwide deployment to follow. all cell carriers will be making massive upgrades at the cell sites in 2010. this is firsthand information. the following is not; apple will most likely build the first 4g iphone for verizon.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM

8,162 posts, read 14,210,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
You are right.It's about the tethering and not about regular data use. Only one phone that I know of right now that can be tethered for free with unlimited use and thats the Motorola Droid.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 PM

3,270 posts, read 8,819,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The network just cannot handle the capacity anymore and they are going to have to start limiting people. People are really abusing the unlimited plans.
Given that the people are paying at least $70 a month for their service, I question who's abusing who!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 8,848,154 times
Blackberry As Modem | BlackBerry Storm Modem | BlackBery Bold Modem

tethering software to bypass extra fee from the cell company.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 AM

4,088 posts, read 5,057,481 times
One can tether on AT&T with the Windows Mobile HTC phones. Get the phone, add a line to the Family Plan for $10, $30 for the data, and tether away for $40 a month. Added bonus: you get another line. I can sit in the airport talking on my iPhone while looking at client email or a website. I have an Exchange Server email system, which keeps all email on the server. Only way to get access is if I'm connected.

Side observation - the HTC phone can have a good phone signal when my iPhone reads no bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones