Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

like the cell when i can do things with it that i couldn't do without it like call for a ride when i get to my destination, etc--ie i only like it for practical things but i won't have an extended convo with anyone on it cause it's prepaid and i can't stand the Y2K image of people strutting down the street talking on the cells it's very grating and patronizing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM

253 posts, read 967,474 times
I have had about 19 different smartphones....I dont like regular old cell phones though. Once you get a Blackberry, everything changes and you just cant live without the next one!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Safety is the reason I wound up finally getting one a few years back.

I was one of those, "I never need one of those things" people, until my car broke down in the middle lane of one of the highways that goes around Atlanta. Now, that can be a death sentence here. Luckily, a AAA truck just happened to be passing by and he hitched me up and got me out of the busy area - and that was a 1-in-10000 chance of being that lucky, too. Otherwise, I'd have had to get out of the car and try to run across the highway during rush hour here and walk 3 miles to get to a payphone. Not smart.

So, I got one. To this day, no kidding, I use maybe a total of 45 - 60 minutes TOPS per month on my phone (LG DARE). I don't use it when driving, or in a theater, etc etc by the way, either. I'm not an addict, but I do know people who are. I do however, use a couple of the apps on my phone a bit. I use the V-cast to watch newscasts from my home town, and a detailed weather app to watch radar when storms are predicted so I can time taking my dogs out to pee. lol. That's the extent of my use, but even if someone just buys a $30 prepaid, I strongly suggest for safety reasons, people have them. imo.

This a big myth that the cell phone companies are selling everyone.

Truth is that all you need is an old cell phone to keep charged up and in your glove box. No contract, no minutes, nothing needed to make your phone work in an emergency.

Federal law states that if you have a cell phone and you dial 911 the call has to go though weather you have a contract or not.

Don't believe me, take an old cell phone, charge it up and dial 911 and watch how fast the police answer your call.

busta

Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post

Truth is that all you need is an old cell phone to keep charged up and in your glove box. No contract, no minutes, nothing needed to make your phone work in an emergency.

Federal law states that if you have a cell phone and you dial 911 the call has to go though weather you have a contract or not.

Don't believe me, take an old cell phone, charge it up and dial 911 and watch how fast the police answer your call.

busta
Actually, I'm aware of this law. And yes, it works. However, try this: Come to Atlanta (or most cities I would suspect) and if your car breaks down on the road dial 9-1-1 and ask the police dispatcher if they'll call a towtruck or AAA for you. Now, in a perfect Mayberry type town that MIGHT work, but here, the officer will arrive most likely to write you a ticket for misuse of the 9-1-1 system. He MIGHT bring a towtruck with him if anything just to get you out of everyone's way if you're on a busy stretch of road and causing a traffic tie-up... and you'll still get a ticket.

How do I know this? (True story - 2 years ago): I know a gal who's car once broke down late at night. All she had in the car was her son's expired Net10 phone. She knew about the 9-1-1 deal and called it and asked the dispatcher if they could call a tower or her husband to inform them she was broke down. The dispatcher asked her why she didn't just call them herself as this was not considered a 9-1-1 emergency. She explained the phone situation. She was told to "get a real phone" by the dispatcher, who then hung up on her. The dispatcher sent an officer to her location anyway to check her out and verify it, and the officer told her there was "no excuse for a woman driving alone to not have a cell phone", reemed her out some more, and then used his own phone to call her husband and waited until he arrived until he left.

In other words, yes, you can use 9-1-1 on any "deactivated" cell phone, but depending on where you live, you'd better make SURE it's a REAL emergency (as in life or death) before using it for that, or it could create more problems for you than it's worth. The thing is, having a cell doesn't mean you HAVE to act like a fool using it. For $9.95 a month you can have a monthly plan on Tracfone with minimal minutes, and the phones themselves cost as little as $10-$14.00. You don't have to give the number out to people to bug you, or yac on it at inappropriate times or in inappropriate places, or even really use it at all unless a situation requires it. But it could be a very handy tool to have when you really do need one for minimal cost... and you never can predict everything that's going to happen where you might need one.

Safety sermon over. LOL

Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
And as an added benefit, it tells them exactly where you are at any time.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post

busta

Yeah, that's nice for people who want to call the police. In this day and age with the "He looked at me sideways so I tasered the impetulant nine-year-old punk," enforcement mentality, I don't think that's such a desirable option for me. I'd rather hoof it with the whole family in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones