U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 8,906,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabwis04 View Post
a phone is a necessity, not a luxury. It's not a want, it IS a need . . . . .

It is a luxury and a want.

Food and water are necessities.

These folks seem to get by without a phone, why can't everyone else?

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM

10,887 posts, read 20,498,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
It is a luxury and a want.

Food and water are necessities.
It's a necessity as long as someone else is paying for it, if the subsidy went away it would likely quickly become a luxury.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM

21,347 posts, read 21,705,614 times
Quote:
a cell phone is certainly not a "need".
I agree in the classical sense (e.g. food, clothing & shelter being the only requirements for survival), but to be a functioning member of today's society, one really does need a telephone. Try getting a job without one.

As for the land line vs. cell phone argument, it used to be that cell phones were a luxury. Now, it's more economical for everyone involved to use cell phones. The infrastructure to support land line telephones is extremely expensive to build and maintain compared to cellular telephones. It's cheaper for both the provider and the consumer. There's a reason that the first telephone systems being widely deployed in some 3rd world countries are cellular, and it's not because everyone got rich all of the sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabwis04 View Post
The phone comes with 68 minutes per MONTH. If you think that is a luxury try staying within those minutes doing anything BUT using it for emergency situations.
I haven't had to use my cellphone for emergencies (thankfully) and I average about 10-15 minutes per month on it.

My office line, though... that's a different matter entirely!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I agree in the classical sense (e.g. food, clothing & shelter being the only requirements for survival), but to be a functioning member of today's society, one really does need a telephone. Try getting a job without one.

I say try getting a job and buy your own.

Why is it a requirement for employment to have a telephone? Just tell the prospective employer that you will call them back, and do so from a payphone. It sounds reasonable that someone without a job would not have a phone since it is indeed a luxury.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 177,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Great post, kabwis04. That does seem like a good program for people in your situation.
That is what my mom uses it for. She lives alone, gets no goverment help - except for this phone. She walks around town and/or takes the bus by herself. If something happened to her ourside of her home, she would have no way of calling for help. The Safelink phone only give her 68 minutes per month, of which she only uses maybe 10-15 minutes usually just calling here & there to confirm a ride. I wanted her to just CARRY the phone in case of emergency. A friend of hers had a incident while out & about. If she had not had a cellphone she would have died waiting for someone to notice her on teh sidewalk and call for help. Mu inquiry was if I could buy my mom a flip-type phone only because it is easier to operate.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kx2smom View Post
That is what my mom uses it for. She lives alone, gets no goverment help - . . . . . If something happened to her ourside of her home, she would have no way of calling for help. . . . . . . A friend of hers had a incident while out & about. If she had not had a cellphone she would have died waiting for someone to notice her on teh sidewalk and call for help. . . . .
That has no affect on my attitude towards this program.

Just so we are clear, ANY cell phone WITH or WITHOUT a paid plan WILL dial 911 and connect you to emergency services provided it has signal.

It seems this program is only in place to allow tracphone to sell minutes to the gov't, probably through the help of a friend on the inside.

You do not need this program for "safety". That is a lie.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,564,744 times
Quote:

Just so we are clear, ANY cell phone WITH or WITHOUT a paid plan WILL dial 911 and connect you to emergency services provided it has signal.
Very true, just pull the sim card and fire it up, if radio is turned on, "SOS" should apear in the corner.
Lots of places have "phone drives" to collect old phones to give to shelters, especially battered women shelters.
But check carefully, a lot of stores say this, but just re-sell them as "used".
A lot of E-bay and Amazon phones show up like this.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 25,377 times
oh yea what about the person who accidentally washed their phone in the washer and now the phone wont work but they have a cell laying around like an old tracfone they couldnt afford anymore and cant afford to wait for a new phone to arrive via mail stop thinking of the worst possible scenario. if it werent for the government funding other countries and chasing oil rigs we wouldnt need them to buy our phones because our economy wouldnt be as bad i believe Afghanistan should have just been another Hiroshima drop the bomb then look through the glass that used to be the desert sand for the oil they wanted and move on but instead we fund a billion dollar war instead of dropping a bomb we probably already own making the us economy go to the dump

Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 PM

10,887 posts, read 20,498,434 times
In the future might I suggest some sentence structure and punctuation.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 25,377 times
Default welcome to the internet

What are you a college professor? if so not at my college,and further more if you look at popular internet lingo it does not include a structure of any kind, also i guess you cant come up with anything else to argue my post except that i am using usual internet jargon and structure. search forums for yourself and tell me 9 out of 10 times how the posts look..... especially when a reader is frazzled by the previous posts. had this been an essay, i would have used proper punctuation and structure.
find a new argument or give a valid reply in the future.
thanks and have a wonderful day lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones