U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 AM

125 posts, read 1,011,591 times

Advertisements

So a few months ago I was told by my cellphone carrier that towers were down in my area and i couldn't get cellphone service at home. Calls were either dropped or static.

More recently i had a major emergency right outside my home and called 911 from my cell phone......BUT all my calls were dropped or the dispatcher couldn't understand what i was saying b/c of the static.

After 5-10 minutes of franticly trying to call 911, a neighbor heard my screams and called 911 from their phone.

Do I have a case to sue my cell phone carrier? Shouldn't 911 calls be required to work at all times?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 AM

3,932 posts, read 7,839,461 times
What have you been using for phone service at your home since you found out that the towers were down in your area and that you didn't have cell service there?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Default most people dont have landlines

i don't have a land line.

i would either text or email instead of call.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 AM

26,126 posts, read 29,295,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
So a few months ago I was told by my cellphone carrier that towers were down in my area and i couldn't get cellphone service at home. Calls were either dropped or static.

More recently i had a major emergency right outside my home and called 911 from my cell phone......BUT all my calls were dropped or the dispatcher couldn't understand what i was saying b/c of the static.

After 5-10 minutes of franticly trying to call 911, a neighbor heard my screams and called 911 from their phone.

Do I have a case to sue my cell phone carrier? Shouldn't 911 calls be required to work at all times?
No, I don't think you have a case because you were already told you did not have service, or reliable service, in your area by your carrier. At the time of this information being presented to you, you had the option of switching carriers and didn't and therefore took the risk of continuing with their service.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

thanks for your opinion. Do you have a legal background?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM

31,304 posts, read 30,709,360 times
No legal background just common sense

You're cell phone company may have given you good service 99.99% of the time and that's better then one would expect.

I doubt very much that you’d have a winnable lawsuit. First it sounded like you said that the cellphone carrier told you that the towers were down and you’d be without service. You were informed and could have taken other corrective actions be it permanent or temporary.

Next,,, cellphone companies don’t guarantee that their service will be available 100% of the time and in all areas. There are a variety of reasons for outages that are beyond their control, storm damage or an act of god.

Cell service has never been considered “reliable” at all times and at all locations, it’s the nature of the beast and things happen that are out of their control.

Lesson learned is you’re neighbor appeared to have a landline and phones that worked, although the hard wired service can also be disrupted at times, it’s less likely.

Hard-wired phone service at my house provides a phone in most rooms in case of emergencies. I don’t need to carry my cell phone around all day in the house. One time I used the cell phone while away from home and the battery was near dead and I couldn’t complete the call. In the 30 years of having the landline it has been out of service no more then a total of three or four times and was repaired within 24 hours or sooner each event.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 AM

How were you personally harmed due to poor cell phone service, or no service?

Was there a written legal contract to supply you with service 24/7 at your home address?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 AM

26,126 posts, read 29,295,422 times
Wireless 911 Service FCC Regulations (Site also provides information on filing a complaint and what is necessary). While 911 service is still available on phones with no service contract, keep in mind that there are still areas where service of any kind is still unavailable due to tower locations.

Tips for 911 Calling

The FCC’s 911 rules for wireless service providers are being implemented over a period of several years. In addition, cities and states must update their PSAPs to receive caller identification and location information, a costly effort that can take several years to complete. Therefore, consumers that call 911 from a wireless phone should remember the following:
  • Tell the emergency operator the location of the emergency right away.
  • Give the emergency operator your wireless phone number so that, if the call gets disconnected, the operator can call you back.
  • If your wireless phone is not “initialized” (meaning you do not have a contract for service with a wireless service provider), and your emergency call gets disconnected, you must call the emergency operator back because the operator does not have your telephone number and cannot contact you.
  • To help public safety personnel allocate emergency resources, learn and use the designated number in your state for highway accidents or other non life-threatening incidents. Often, states reserve specific numbers for these types of incidents. For example, “#77” is the number used for highway accidents in Virginia. The number to call for non life-threatening incidents in your state can be found in the front of your phone book.
  • Refrain from programming your phone to automatically dial 911 when one button, such as the “9” key, is pressed. Unintentional wireless 911 calls, which often occur when auto-dial keys are inadvertently pressed, cause problems for emergency call centers.
  • If your wireless phone came pre-programmed with the auto-dial 911 feature already turned on, turn off this feature. Check your user manual to find out how.
  • Lock your keypad when you’re not using your wireless phone. This action also prevents accidental calls to 911.
Wireless 911 Services

Last edited by Thursday007; 03-08-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM

well do you think if i told my phone company this info they will give me free service for the next few months? For all the pain they caused.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 AM

What pain and injury? Were you hospitalized or see a doctor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones