Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times

Advertisements

I have had Tracfone service for one week and this morning a burning smell was coming from the charger so I unplugged the phone and called Tracfone and told them to send me a replacement charger. After waiting for the service rep to confer with his supervisor he comes back and says "you'll have to go buy a new charger" I go nuts on the phone and tell the rep to let me speak to his supervisor. I get put on hold and after 10 minutes I hang up. I immediately call AX and told them the story and they agreed to credit my account.
The warranty that comes with the phone said 1 year limited warranty against defects but after only one week they tell me to go buy your own charger.

Needless to say I will never do business with Tracfone again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
did the warranty specifically indicate it covers the charger also?

in all fairness to tracfone, they only charge about $10 for the phone and charger together.

i wouldn't be surprised if the warranty did not cover the charger also.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Buy your prepaid phones from a retailer like BestBuy, and you have 30 days to take them back (BB's return policy on a phone). You could have just swapped it out.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,114 times
Tracfone has terrible customer service. I have had my phone since July and last Thursday when I turned it on, it said "Unregistered SIM" on it. I could only make emergency calls with it. So I called on my husband's Tracfone to customer service, which happens to be in Chile, and could barely understand what they were saying. The rep accused me numerous times of putting a different SIM card in my phone, which I did not do. So, finally they said that it would be working within 24 hours. Well, it wasn't so I called back and demanded to speak to a supervisor, who told me that I would need a new SIM card. I got it in the mail today and called to activate it. They told me that my phone would be working within an hour. Well, it wasn't so I called back and now they are telling me 24 hours again. On top of it all, I am due to have a baby any day now and if I can't call my friends and family to tell them I had a baby I will be even more furious! I have over 2500 minutes on this phone and can't use them.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM
LBP

1 posts, read 3,894 times
Woe unto anyone who EVER has to use Tracfone service. I had a Tracfone for three years with no issues. I recently upgraded my phone and transferred my numbers and minutes. All worked fine for six weeks, then disaster. The phone would suddenly not allow me to make any calls whatsoever -- "Unregistered SIM." I called Tracfone and spent 45 frustrating minutes talking to some pleasant gerbil in Bangladesh, who was unable to solve the problem and gave me a work order number. If the Tracfone techs (do they exist?) were unable to solve the problem in four days, I would immediately receive a replacement phone. NOTHING was done in four days; I actually gave them six. Today I spent a solid HOUR talking to another pleasant gerbil in Bangladesh (ALWAYS on an impossible connection -- can a phone company establish a decent connection, for crying out loud?), repeatedly removing the battery, entering numbers, etc., etc. All to no avail. No replacement phone, but they would send me a new SIM card to see if that worked. No thank you. Bye-bye, Tracfone.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
Tracfone is great for people like me who HATE forking over a fee month after month for cell phone service. I've had my Tracfone for about 2.5 years and have had no problems whatsoever with it (Knock on wood). I think if I ever DO have a problem with it, I might be better off (at least from a sanity perspective) just throwing it away and buying a new one.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Tracfone is great for people like me who HATE forking over a fee month after month for cell phone service. I've had my Tracfone for about 2.5 years and have had no problems whatsoever with it (Knock on wood). I think if I ever DO have a problem with it, I might be better off (at least from a sanity perspective) just throwing it away and buying a new one.
Except, if you want to keep your same number, you'll have to call the Dreaded Customer Service....

Old 02-05-2011, 04:03 PM

249 posts, read 440,523 times
I just posted another thread about Tracfone and the bad surprises . The new one today (I was wondering why the communications are soooooo bad.. of course they must be in Bangladesh ) is I can't call international cell phones, the system doesn't allow . Great, all my family and friends are in Europe . Skype is still the best way!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,486 times
I have had a Tracfone for 1-1/2 years. It keeps getting deactivated for no reason. My doctors and other important callers get told my number is no longer in service. I can't resolve the problems I'm having online and their website says, "If your cellphone is inoperable and you do not have a landline available to call customer service at 1-800-XXX-XXXX. Nice trick.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Try this company: No Contract Cell Phone Plans - Consumer Cellular. NO contracts, and their Customer Service is great! I've had this service for about 6 years and am quite satisfied.

There are several different phones to choose from and they always offer a basic one which is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones