Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hewlett-Packard Co announced a $1.2 billion deal to buy Palm Inc, betting it can resuscitate the struggling smartphone maker to compete with the likes of Apple Inc and RIM.
HP to buy Palm in bet on smartphone arena | Reuters

I was talking to my girlfriend a few weeks ago about Palm. We both have Palm Centros right now - my 4th PalmOS phone. I had the Kyocera 6035 and 7135, then the Treo 650, and currently the Centro. When the Pre came out, we were both pretty excited about it, but held off on it for a while to let the price drop a bit and to give them a chance to get the bugs worked out (I almost never buy version 1.0 of anything).

When I saw the specs on the HTC Evo that's being released in a couple of months, it was an instant conversion. I pretty much lost all interest in the Pre at that point.

So I mentioned to my girlfriend that if they can't keep *me* - a die hard Palm user that's had four generations of Palm based phones and traditional Palm PDAs before that - as a customer, then they were a lost cause. Within a couple of weeks of that conversation, I read about rumors that Palm was up for sale, and now this.

I hope that HP can do something with them, but without a complete rebranding - at the very least - I think that the Palm platform might be in a unrecoverable death spiral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones