Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old Verizon Kyocera 2325 cellphone. It's prepaid and i use the impulse or freeup refill cards. I bought it for $99 at a verizon retailer

There is a Verizon Samsung prepaid phone selling in Target for $14.99. it's advertised as you pay only for what you use

The only reason i am thinking of getting it is because it's lighter than my 6 year old phone and the cost is good. but is the quality less?

would i be able to transfer the phone # from my verizon kyocera to the new verizon phone as well as transfer the balance? could i also use the existing refill card i have on this new phone? I am confused as to the difference between this pay what you use vs the straight refill cards i currently use. would i activate the new phone myself or would i have to take it to a retailer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I would suggest getting a GSM type phone, so you can transfer the SIM card to another phone if you want. AT&T, Consumer, T-Mobil are all GSM.

Verizon is CDMA, as is Sprint.

I like to keep the same cell phone as long as I can. Consumer has decent phones for free, but while it's a no-contract deal you do sign up for X minutes per month, no roll-over.

Around here Verizon is an old school, long contract traditional cell provider.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default well as someone

who doesn't like change, could i ask what those initials stand for (GSM, SIM, CDMA)

i had originally bought the verizon phone 6 years because of a top rating in Consumer Reports but with these inexpensive phones i don't if the quality suffers

would i have to take the new verizon phone to a retail store to activate it or could i do it by the instructions?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:08 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
who doesn't like change, could i ask what those initials stand for (GSM, SIM, CDMA)

i had originally bought the verizon phone 6 years because of a top rating in Consumer Reports but with these inexpensive phones i don't if the quality suffers

would i have to take the new verizon phone to a retail store to activate it or could i do it by the instructions?
CDMA and GSM are kind of the decoding languages for the phones. If you purchase another phone, you can do it yourself unless you wanted to switch your old number to the new phone which is a little more involved. As for SIM, it's a tiny chip that goes in the back of the phone that stores all the data. Sometimes they can be transferred from phone to phone. Verizon uses a program called backup assistant which saves all your data, but you also can use the blackberry online site if you had a blackberry. Truthfully a 5 minute phone call can usually aid you in switching info from one phone to another, but you must call from a different phone to perform all the needed functions.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
GSM is used by AT*T, T-mobile, others and requires a SIM card., comes with the phone purchase. Will hold your contacts info, can be transferred to a new phone.
CDMA is used by Sprint, Verizon and others with NO sim card. Some phones allow you to save your info to an online access.
If you don't know the difference then it probly shouldn't matter to you.

These days most phones can be activated online, or by making that call from the old phone but may require follow up effort.

You may find some help at Howard Forums, dedicated to cell phone use and users, it's free to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones