Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 PM

23,607 posts, read 23,903,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
Depends on what plan you want but every phone has to pay a $10/month fee. So if you get the $69.99 "Everything Data with Any Mobile Anytime" plan then your costs would be $79.99 a month plus tax. The "Everything Data Family With Any Mobile Anytime" costs $130 a month for two lines plus $20 a month for two EVOs = $150 a month.
The $10/mo is for 4G access. If you just want their older (3G? CDMA?) data service, you don't have to pay that. Seems like a bargain to me for anyone that uses the data service at all, though.

If you want to use the phone as a portable "hot spot", that's an additional $30/mo. So for all the bells and whistles, you're looking at whatever regular plan they have for voice/data, plus $40/mo.

I won't be getting the hot spot addon - I'll be using a 3rd party option for that. $30/mo might be a decent deal if you're a college kid or something, and you can get away with that being your only data connection, but we already have cable and dsl at the house, and our need to connect a laptop or netbook to the 'net while away is rare, but required when we do need it. There's a couple of 3rd party apps out there that will do the trick. EasyTether is one, and PDAnet is the other. There are a couple other options, but I don't want to root my phone or mess with my browser settings every time I need it, so I'll drop a few bucks on one of those two. I'm currently using the Palm product from the folks that make EasyTether, and I'm quite satisfied, so I'll probably go with their product. It's cheaper than PDAnet, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM

49 posts, read 186,965 times
The $10 is not optional regardless of what network you use or have. EasyTether and PDANet are terrible tethering applications. You must root to get a decent tethering app.

$150 is the standard discount applied to a new phone with contract, you're not getting the phone for less than $200 so stop dreaming.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAT. View Post
EasyTether and PDANet are terrible tethering applications. You must root to get a decent tethering app.
Do you have experience with USBModem for the Palm platform? If so, can you compare it with EasyTether?

Why are they "terrible"? How do you define "decent"? I'm all for getting some input, but a little elaboration goes a long way...

I'll only be needing to tether two or three times a year, so I really don't care how bad the app works, relative to rooting the phone or paying the $30/mo, as long as it's functional. I don't need it often, but when I do, it's gotta work.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,315,199 times
^^Lol. how long you been working at sprint?

Quote:
11:36:01AM me: "cool how do i go about doing that"
11:36:52AM Agent (Deon T): "On June-4th you can visit to your nearest Sprint Store or can order in online."
11:37:20AM me: "I pre-ordered it at Best Buy, I got an email about pre-orders from best buy so i went there"
11:37:26AM me: "will that be a problem?"
11:38:00AM Agent (Deon T): "Let me check the information. One moment please."
11:38:07AM me: "thanks"
11:39:33AM Agent (Deon T): "Thank you for your patience."
11:39:55AM Agent (Deon T): "There will be no problem. You will get the rebate from there also."
11:40:19AM me: "ok so this will be off the 199$ i was gona pay correct"
11:40:31AM Agent (Deon T): "yes, the upgrade discount will be applied at checkout."
11:41:11AM Agent (Deon T): "My goal is to ensure the issues that prompted you to chat are fully resolved. Have I resolved all of your issues today?"
11:41:26AM me: "yea thanks"

Old 05-29-2010, 01:25 PM

I wish you were right. I really do, since I'm getting the same discount. Notice that the rep never actually confirmed your out-the-door price...

How long have you been buying smartphones? I've been doing it for about 10 years, and I'm telling you, the $199 price reflects all discounts, including your upgrade discount. The shelf price is $499-599 (depending on where you shop). You really think you're getting it for $50? Like I said, it'd be awesome if you were right - it'd save me $300 since we're buying two. Don't you think that for $300, I wouldn't be so adamant if I weren't completely sure?

You keep on believing that you're getting it at that price, if you like. On Friday, you might want to put an extra couple hundred bucks in your wallet though. You know, in case you want to buy some gum or something...

Some interesting reading material...

Another Sprint rep chat session you might want to read
Evo Purchasing FAQ - Android Central Forums

Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 11 days ago)

43,118 posts, read 76,693,175 times
Apple Fanboy charges abounding...
An iPhone Lover’s Take On The HTC EVO 4G

And,
HTC EVO 4G review -- Engadget
"...adore it."

Cnet, with user reviews from people who have never seen an Evo:
HTC Evo 4G - black (Sprint) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

15 minute video review:
HTC Evo 4G (Sprint) Review: Hardware

Lots of chat about a phone that will be released this week:
http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/559-EVO-4G

Old 05-31-2010, 09:49 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,823,691 times
verizon is suppose to have a new 4 G I-phone coming. I;'ll be interested to see how it performs. seems the droid is ok.. well after my third one... the first 2 never worked well. finally this one does, well other than it still doesnt do my email....

Should be interesting...

Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 11 days ago)

43,118 posts, read 76,693,175 times
Talking OK, so whose EVO is up and running?

Sprint semi-crashed this morning about 10:30 EDST, and I finally got activated about 3:45.

Pretty neat phone.
Blows the doors off my WinMobile 6.1 Touch Pro, at least so far.
Not crazy about the intense Google tie-in, but I guess it is better than a somewhat dysfunctional MS tie-in.

The visual Voicemail is incredibly better than what I had before. I will learn to love it.

Android is much more pleasant than IE or Opera.

And the 4.3" of screen is great. Big buttons and keyboard, particularly in landscape mode.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,691,371 times
It is not an I Phone so it will not sell well.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Ok, expect, so tell us - how much did you pay?

I'm still getting used to using the phone - navigating everything and whatnot, but so far, I love it! It blows away my Palm Centro in every way. I have it streaming music to my bluetooth headphones, using the WiFi connection in the house instead of the cellular network to conserve power... I'll try out one of the tethering apps once they've been confirmed to work with the Evo.

Very nice phone. I'm quite content with the purchase. My girlfriend, who also got one, is experiencing phone nirvana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones