Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,324,485 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be several years before Verizon would be able to carry the iPhone. Today I heard otherwise, that they will start to carry it possibly in June.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just a rumor? I just got an Incredible because I can't stand AT&T, although I really wanted an iPhone. I have 30 days (less 10 days) to return it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,408,253 times
Highly unlikely that you will see an iPhone on Verizon's network in June, but no one on this forum can give you a definite answer.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,640,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I thought it would be several years before Verizon would be able to carry the iPhone. Today I heard otherwise, that they will start to carry it possibly in June.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just a rumor? I just got an Incredible because I can't stand AT&T, although I really wanted an iPhone. I have 30 days (less 10 days) to return it.
June in as in 2 weeks from now, not 2011? I highly doubt it.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM

655 posts, read 1,328,290 times
Everything I can find says 2012 as ATT has a exclusive till then, so it would take lots of legal wrangling and a huge payoff by Verizon to ATT to get iphone. Seems to me with Android Verizon doesn't need the iphone as thought months ago.

Know some techies that have both and they prefer Incredible over iphone so who knows?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:44 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,095,423 times
It will be coming soon but if it were in June, they'd be advertising like crazy right now.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,025,320 times
ATT does nothing for me... I've used Verizon and its predecessors for years, and on occasion ATT, and find when using ATT vs. Verizon, that the former has much more dropped calls, spotty reception, and cruddy service. The only way I'd get iPhone is through Verizon. If interested, this particular site has a few bits of info regarding what is happening:
MacRumors.com Search Results
Verizon CEO Reveals That He Has Asked Apple for iPhone Rights - Mac Rumors
However,,, will this happen? I've my doubts... but will/would be great IMHO if / when it does.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,408,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It will be coming soon but if it were in June, they'd be advertising like crazy right now.
No they wouldn't (by they, I assume you mean Verizon). There is absolutely no way in the world that Steve Jobs would allow Verizon to advertise an iPhone before Jobs rolled it out himself.

I agree with you that a Verizon iPhone coming in a few weeks is highly, highly unlikely.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,095,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
No they wouldn't (by they, I assume you mean Verizon). There is absolutely no way in the world that Steve Jobs would allow Verizon to advertise an iPhone before Jobs rolled it out himself.

I agree with you that a Verizon iPhone coming in a few weeks is highly, highly unlikely.
Do you remember what happened when Verizon released the Motorola/Google Android? Lots of advertising. The same would hold true for the IPhone. You'd probably see a special news report with Jobs shaking hands with the CEO of VZW but after that they'd be showing the, coming soon commercials.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,833,113 times
Rumors are stronger than ever of a CDMA iPhone for Verizon. Latest rumors say it's coming in September.

Confirmation of the Verizon (CDMA) iPhone Manufacturer? - Mac Rumors

Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,798,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Everything I can find says 2012 as ATT has a exclusive till then, so it would take lots of legal wrangling and a huge payoff by Verizon to ATT to get iphone.
I believe the "loophole" being looked at is that AT&T has an exclusive to sell the iPhone and iPhone3G/s models, but the new model will be called the iPhoneHD, hence officially a completely different model, which Verizion could sell without infringing on the original exclusive contract with AT&T. In other words, the wording may be that AT&T has an exclusive agreement to sell the iPhone models up to date, but not "all future versions" of it. At least that is what some of the legal rumors have indicated as to how they can get around it - and that in June the new AT&T model will be the one announce, with a POSSIBLE announcement that Verizion will get their own model in the Fall.

AT&T has just announced that people who get iPhones (or other Smart Phones) now who want to break their contracts will have to pay around $350 to do so - that's about twice what it has been. Some feel this is in response to upcoming news that Verizon will carry the new iPhoneHD, and it's to dissuade contract holders from switching to Verizion when they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones