Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,967,239 times

Advertisements

Sorry to be blunt, but that's a very possible outcome when breathing rodent feces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:06 PM

435 posts, read 832,254 times
Hanta virus is 80% kill rate...if you catch the bad virulence one.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 PM

9,545 posts, read 7,004,571 times
Default Update

Well, we are OUT and haven't slept there in several nights. Thank Goodness!

Today we went back just to pick up 1 or 2 things, clean the floors and wash the windows. I had already cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms and almost everything was gone.

I kid you not, we killed AT LEAST 20 palmetto bugs. And there were more flying and crawling around...we got tired of killing them all. It was totally disgusting.

(We had had a few over the past two weeks, but nothing like that).

The "handyman" was there, and when we mentioned it, he said, "well, yeah, it rained last night, so that's normal."

Well, here at the new house it rained too and we do not have 20 palmetto bugs running around.

AND....there was another dead rat in the attic.

AND...it turns out the house has sewage problems!!

I am so glad we are outta there, no matter what hassle lies ahead of us.

Thanks for all y'alls support and good wishes.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:03 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,732,167 times
You are obviously a conscientious and responsible person to go back and clean in spite of all you went through in that house and with that landlord. You are to be applauded.
Thanks for the update and I'm glad you are in a nice, rat-free, bug-free home now. Enjoy your clean start to life in our beautiful state.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Well, thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,967,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well, we are OUT and haven't slept there in several nights. Thank Goodness!

Today we went back just to pick up 1 or 2 things, clean the floors and wash the windows. I had already cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms and almost everything was gone.

I kid you not, we killed AT LEAST 20 palmetto bugs. And there were more flying and crawling around...we got tired of killing them all. It was totally disgusting.

(We had had a few over the past two weeks, but nothing like that).

The "handyman" was there, and when we mentioned it, he said, "well, yeah, it rained last night, so that's normal."

Well, here at the new house it rained too and we do not have 20 palmetto bugs running around.

AND....there was another dead rat in the attic.

AND...it turns out the house has sewage problems!!

I am so glad we are outta there, no matter what hassle lies ahead of us.

Thanks for all y'alls support and good wishes.
Glad to hear that you are away from that dive.

Your handyman was a bs artist. It should not matter if it 'rained last night' or not, you only see twenty roaches at one time if the place has some serious cleanliness problems.

Every house in Charleston has roaches, but you should see them every so often, and then one or two at the most.

Anyway, even by SC standards, sounds like you encountered a slum lord. Better luck in the future.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,390,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OK, but we've ALREADY moved in.

I am really thinking we need to move out ASAP. Despite the cost and the hassle.....

Anyone know anything about tenant's rights? From what I can see online, SC law says the place must be "habitable"....and of course with rats, it is not habitable.

Oh, and the house is on IOP.
Get the board of health to come in and check it out and give you something in writing that says it isn't habitable. It might not be a bad idea to talk to an attorney with expertise in this area. After running it by an attorney, and getting his/her advice in writing I'd deduct all costs from the rent and any deposits you put down after informing your landlord of such. Also take pictures of the droppings.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,846 times
What does the lease agreement actually say? If it says the tenants are responsible for rodent maintenance, then it is actually your responsibility and you are actually the one harrasing your landlord. Rats in an attic are pretty common. Think about it.....your next rental could likely have the exact same problem. What are you going to do then? Probably be in trouble and liable for breaking lease agreements up to the total amount due for the entire term of the lease.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 AM

Dear Plainandsimple,
Thanks for all your (belated) input and concern for our health.

Yes, we did read the lease. And no, it did not say that the tenants are responsible for rodent maintenance.

I really take exception to you saying that we were harrasing the landlord. Under SC State LAW, the landlord is required to provide a safe and healthy environment. That is the law and it is not up for disupute. We did hire a lawyer because this was a pre-exisiting condition that was not disclosed. And NO, RATS in the attic are not all that common.

BTW, for all who are curious, we did get a full refund of our security deposit after we moved out of the rat-infested house. We love our new house...it is clean and pretty and rat free. And we have it in our lease that should that be a problem, the landlord has to take care of it (just in case the law isn't clear enough).

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,277,060 times
I am so happy everything worked out for you. That was pure hell what your family has been through. Enjoy your beautiful, clean home and take care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area