Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:04 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Dear Plainandsimple,
Thanks for all your (belated) input and concern for our health.

Yes, we did read the lease. And no, it did not say that the tenants are responsible for rodent maintenance.

I really take exception to you saying that we were harrasing the landlord. Under SC State LAW, the landlord is required to provide a safe and healthy environment. That is the law and it is not up for disupute. We did hire a lawyer because this was a pre-exisiting condition that was not disclosed. And NO, RATS in the attic are not all that common.

BTW, for all who are curious, we did get a full refund of our security deposit after we moved out of the rat-infested house. We love our new house...it is clean and pretty and rat free. And we have it in our lease that should that be a problem, the landlord has to take care of it (just in case the law isn't clear enough).
Glad it worked out. Bet I know who you'll pull for next Tom And Jerry cartoon you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Thank you Patti and Geechie.

And guess what? We actually are liking the area now that we're in a good house. (I am as surprised as anyone).

Looking at the new Pottery Barn catalog yesterday, they have some Halloween stuff out...they have stuffed/fake black rats for sale for $6.00 each. That is really tacky, especially for Pottery Barn, even if it is Halloween. My 7 year old said, "that is nasty, Mommy; don't they know that can be a real problem for people? And they spread all kinds of diseases and stuff..."

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM

120 posts, read 256,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Thank you Patti and Geechie.

And guess what? We actually are liking the area now that we're in a good house. (I am as surprised as anyone).

Looking at the new Pottery Barn catalog yesterday, they have some Halloween stuff out...they have stuffed/fake black rats for sale for $6.00 each. That is really tacky, especially for Pottery Barn, even if it is Halloween. My 7 year old said, "that is nasty, Mommy; don't they know that can be a real problem for people? And they spread all kinds of diseases and stuff..."
Hahaha! Smart kid.

Good for you for handling this in such a professional way & getting out from under this landlord.

Glad everything worked out for you & that you are liking the area now more!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainandsimple View Post
What does the lease agreement actually say? If it says the tenants are responsible for rodent maintenance, then it is actually your responsibility and you are actually the one harrasing your landlord. Rats in an attic are pretty common. Think about it.....your next rental could likely have the exact same problem. What are you going to do then? Probably be in trouble and liable for breaking lease agreements up to the total amount due for the entire term of the lease.
I have lived in 14 homes, none of which had rats in the attic or anywhere else. Rats are NOT common. Calgirl's family had every right to complain as rodents were not part of the package they agreed on. I can't believe that you would insinuate that they were harrassing the landlord. This was the landlord's home and he/she was entirely responsible for their tenants being safe and living in a clean, pest-free home. I have been both a tenant and a landlord and I feel that they were well within their rights to complain and demand that the problem be remedied.

Calgirl, I'm so glad that you got a full refund and are now happy in your new home....well deserved, my friend!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I have lived in 14 homes, none of which had rats in the attic or anywhere else. Rats are NOT common. Calgirl's family had every right to complain as rodents were not part of the package they agreed on.

Calgirl, I'm so glad that you got a full refund and are now happy in your new home....well deserved, my friend!

Beaches, how nice of you, thanks!!

You know my father is in his 70s, and has owned probably at least that many houses, and I totally respect his judgment...when I told him about it, he said "Get out".

Not to mention that IMO, knowingly exposing your children to rats and all the myriad problems they cause is reprehensible, if not a form of child neglect.

I cannot believe that anyone would say that this is the tenant's problem.

I would like to encourage anyone else out there dealing with a similar situation to fight for your health, your safety, and your rights and get out. It did cost us some money (moving expenses, which we probably could have fought for, but decided it wasn't worth it) but not only did we have no other choice, things turned out for the better.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,871 times
Since it was a pre-existing problem and it rodent maintenance was not written as tenant's responsibility, I agree that you had the right to do what you did. I do, however, believe it is overboard to freak out about a rat or two in the attic unless it is an infestation. I could see if they were swarming along your floors in your living area. In certain areas (such as SC in older homes), they are very common. I do not believe it was the landlord's responsibility to pay for moving expenses. I believe under SC law, a landlord has up to 14 days to remedy any situation before a tenant can move out.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,287,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainandsimple View Post
Since it was a pre-existing problem and it rodent maintenance was not written as tenant's responsibility, I agree that you had the right to do what you did. I do, however, believe it is overboard to freak out about a rat or two in the attic unless it is an infestation. I could see if they were swarming along your floors in your living area. In certain areas (such as SC in older homes), they are very common. I do not believe it was the landlord's responsibility to pay for moving expenses. I believe under SC law, a landlord has up to 14 days to remedy any situation before a tenant can move out.

You don't seem to understand that the landlord wasn't really doing anything about it. He was going to take months just to clean up the rat poop. They have small children and rats carry diseases. If they were mice it wouldn't be so uncommon, but rats are a different entity. You just need to bow out gracefully with your logic... because you are wrong!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
Charleston, being a very old city... has had a rat problem since day one.
Your city likely has some of the founding fathers of the rat population.

Many coastal communities have to deal with rats. It is a worldwide problem.
Stop Rats in Alaska (http://www.stoprats.org/boats.htm - broken link)

You should see some of the river rats in New Orleans. They are the size of an otter.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
The AC(Atlantic City) warf rats are legendary, they are bigger than some small dogs......

Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 AM

61 posts, read 136,905 times
It is must to read the lease agreement before taking any action towards a rental house whether it is a rodent problem or any other pest control problem. In many cases, tenants are not responsible for the problem but they should pay for the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area