Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:07 PM

51 posts, read 209,119 times

Advertisements

I was looking into moving to NC, but im a single 21 year old guy and SC seems like it would be cool too. Any opinions on either? I would want to live on the coast either way because ive lived inland my whole live and I love the ocean so if it costs more ill spend more. Is SC more the environment im looking for? I want nice beaches and some nightlife but it doesnt have to be crazy i like little laid back local bars and restaurants. I also like palm trees and i dont know why but I do so are there more in SC than NC? Also as far as rent goes I found quite a few reasonable appartments in Charleston that went for $500- around $600 a month for one bedroom is that reasonable or would they be in a ghetto for that low of a price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,494,644 times
Don't move to either.

Stay where you are

Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM

Ok, i think my name might have thrown you off. I live in Vermont i have never been to california. I want to move somewhere where there are beaches and the ocean, and thats not in Vermont, so im going to one of the carolinas I just wanted help choosing because ive never been there either.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,324,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1day View Post
don't move to either.

Stay where you are
:d

Last edited by pcamps; 05-20-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 06:16 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,494,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSD514 View Post
Ok, i think my name might have thrown you off. I live in Vermont i have never been to california. I want to move somewhere where there are beaches and the ocean, and thats not in Vermont, so im going to one of the carolinas I just wanted help choosing because ive never been there either.
Well, if you want beaches then SC is not the place

They have beaches, but nothing special about them. It it not a really nice beach with clear water. Do you see my point

If I was you and these two states were my choices then go with Charlotte. You might be farther away from the beaches, but you would be near a decent size city with some entertainment and still be within driving distance to beaches

To be honest though if you want really nice beaches then consider other places. Tampa or Miami would be good. Or even NJ

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM

thats fine by me i dont need pretty clear watered beaches i just want beaches. How about myrtle beach? thats in SC and it seems pretty popular... Anyways im looking into charlestown area and it seems relatively affordable is there anyone form charlestown who can tell me more.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM

5,286 posts, read 6,223,341 times
Myrtle beach has bluer water than the Charleston area. The economy is dead at the moment and it is very dependent upon retirees and tourists to begin with. If you are in healthcare it would be a good pick and housing is depressed at the moment so you could get a good deal. The diferent beach towns are pretty diferent so look at them separatel.

I think Raleigh or the Research Triangle might be a good bet in North Carolina. It puts you two hours from the beach and only a couple from the mountains. Its also more diverse.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,595,113 times
Judging by what you say you're looking for, I would choose the Charleston area or the Myrtle Beach area. The beaches in other parts of NC and SC are nice, but these two areas have more going on. Myrtle Beach has more of a carnival atmosphere that can be dead during the offseason. Charleston would have more to do all year. As a 21 year old, I think you would be happy with the Charleston crowd with College of Charleston and MUSC in town. The crowd in Myrtle Beach is fun, but much of it tends to be more transient in nature.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM

403 posts, read 1,191,063 times
If I was you I'd move to NC. There's much more for a 21 year old to get into and you can still find a nice place to live at a decent price.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:17 PM

yea im thinking NC too. What coastal towns are nice. I dont like big cities and i do like beaches, but i dont need pretty beaches, i would just like to sit on the edge of the water it doesnt even have to be on a beach just near the water where you can pull over and park and sit on the grass or something. I was looking into wilminton i think it was called but i couldnt find much is that a good place. I would like to live in southern NC because I have a couple friends in myrtle beach, SC so I would like to live somewhat close without being in myrtle beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area