Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,979 times

Advertisements

Southwest Airlines will begin service from Charleston to the Baltimore/Washington area, Chicago, Nashville and Houston on March 13, 2011 according to the Post and Courier. The news release is as follows:

SOUTH CAROLINA, MEET SOUTHWEST AIRLINES!
Wed, 10/20/2010 - 09:00 — Bill Owen

HELLO, PALMETTO STATE! We’re Southwest Airlines—and we’re coming to serve you beginning on March 13, 2011! We’ll begin operations at our 70th and 71st airports, Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP) and Charleston (CHS), with seven weekday departures from each airport. At GSP, we’ll be flying one nonstop roundtrip to Nashville, two to Baltimore/Washington, one to Houston Hobby, one to Orlando, and two to Chicago Midway. At CHS, we’re starting with one roundtrip to Nashville, three to Baltimore/Washington, two to Chicago Midway, and one to Houston. Including direct and connecting service, We’re going to be offering service between Charleston and 65 Southwest cities, and between Greenville/Spartanburg and 68 SWA airports!

We’re positive our two newest destinations are going to be a big hit. If you’re going to S.C., it’s got a GREAT business environment. The scenery is amazing, from the beaches of the Low Country to the Piedmont hills Upstate. Food? Unique and fantastic. Famous Carolina Barbecue and Low Country seafood will keep you coming back for more. And what are the folks in South Carolina going to love about Southwest Airlines? LOTS. Full-sized jets—and only full-sized jets (Boeing all the way, friends!). Low fares and great value (three words: BAGS FLY FREE!). And, most of all, they’re going to love the People of Southwest Airlines—with smiles as big as Texas.

You’ll find all of our schedules, as well as some AWESOME introductory fares, available at southwest.com. One new Southwest state, and two new Southwest airports. Both Greenville/Spartanburg and Charleston will be great additions to our network. But no matter which one you’re going to use, come fly Southwest in the Southeast. Welcome to the Southwest Family, South Carolina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
YES!!! Service to Houston! Maybe it'll help put some pressure on Continental for those flights to and from IAH.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
booo wanted Ft. lauderdale!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
At CHS, we’re starting with one roundtrip to Nashville, three to Baltimore/Washington, two to Chicago Midway, and one to Houston.
Bummer! Totally useless to me. Guess Philly and Boston didn't produce enough interest? Hopefully they'll add those soon.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
One of the flight thru BWI is a one-stopper to BOS.
SW runs it Hubs @ BWI & Midway

Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
They have a pretty good hub at Houston too FWIW. You can get to a LOT of destinations by hopping through there. I think Southwest has 20-something gates there.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Big news for Charleston. Seven flights a day is a good amount. Hopefully they will increase that number in the next couple of years. All the negative nellies at the Post and Courier are saying that Southwest will be just like AirTran and Independence Air (gone after a couple years).

Southwest will be much different. AirTran and Independence flew to just a few cities each (Atlanta for AirTran and Washington, Tampa, Orlando for Independence). Southwest flying to 4 around the country (Baltimore-Washington, Houston Hobby, Nashville, and Chicago Midway) provides worlds of connectivity to the area.

Houston connects to most of the Texas destinations, plus West Coast cities. Nashville, a very nice airport, connects easily to several Southern cities and smaller cities not served by the other hubs. Midway connects to the huge Chicago market, in much more comfortable surroundings than the crowded United commuter flights we have now.

Chicago connects to 52 cities alone on their network (most of the West plus several Midwest and Eastern cities). Baltimore-Washington connects to the huge Baltimore-Washington area plus over a dozen Northeast cities which never have even had one-stop service before. People want Western service, but it will come.

Last edited by jetsfan16; 10-20-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I never even thought about a Houston connection. Both my sisters have ended up in New Mexico and that should make my yearly trip to Albuquerque much better. As is I usually fly to a hub, then to another hub, then to ABQ. One year at Thanksgiving I ended up with three connections on the way out. Which is preferable to flying through New Orleans and not even getting to leave the plain- or flying through Dallas/Ft Worth and having to go to the basement to get on a smaller jet.

Does Southwest fly into National or only Baltimore?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times
Southwest flies into just BWI for now, as that is one of their main hubs. Eventually, if the Airtran merger goes through, they will fly into National as well.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
I was hoping for at least one more city. Oh, well, I guess the $81 RT ticket I purchased for my college student from Chicago is good enough

$30 OW tickets Chicago/CHS if you purchase by midnight tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area