Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 PM

10 posts, read 38,888 times

Advertisements

My daughters and I are planning on a visit to the Charleston area, but fear of spiders and snakes is a concern. I visited there in late September a few years ago and never saw a snake or spider, but I heard that time of year was when they started to be less of them. We were thinking of coming in March or April and wonder, is that when they all start to come out? Is there a good time of year to be there that has less of them, but still nice weather? We're from Alaska, so not used to either of the critters!
Thanks,
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,799 times
You can find plenty of spiders and snakes in Sept if your in the right place Susan.

You should be fine in March or April. Will you be in the woods?
You can find spiders just about everywhere in the summer, but the snakes are a different story......

Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 AM

291 posts, read 547,833 times
I think alot of folks believe there are alligators, snakes, and spiders running rampant across the south. LOL

Watch where you step!

And wear snake boots!

LOL

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM

76 posts, read 182,415 times
you have a better chance of being mauled by a bear or trampled by a moose in your home state! Your chances of a snake encounter are minimal, unless you go looking for them.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Where exactly do you plan to visit?

Snakes are not slithering past the shops on King Street en masse or sunning themselves at the beach....

Old 12-06-2010, 03:21 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown2You View Post
I think alot of folks believe there are alligators, snakes, and spiders running rampant across the south. LOL

Watch where you step!

And wear snake boots!

LOL

This reminds me of the time I visited England, and an acquaintance, when asking me about life in the States, asked me if I was scared to go places by myself...."because everyone in America is walking around with guns."

Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This reminds me of the time I visited England, and an acquaintance, when asking me about life in the States, asked me if I was scared to go places by myself...."because everyone in America is walking around with guns."
Yeah we all have them strapped to our hips...

Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 38,888 times
Sounds like we will be ok, I just remember one of the guys who worked at the hotel I was staying at told me how beautiful it was in the springtime and a great time to visit, but when i asked about snakes and spiders, he told me that's when they all start coming out and chances of running into the snakes or seeing spiders about are much higher.
I totally get it about mis-conceptions, people still ask me occasionally if we see many igloos where we live, lol! But, I lived in Oklahoma for a year and there really were snakes and spiders everywhere! My girls are rather paranoid of venomous spiders, so I want it to be a good experience for them and re-assure them they don't have to worry.
We plan to visit the Charleston area, the plantations around, Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island and I'm not sure where else. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies!!
Susan

Old 12-06-2010, 08:45 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susandsb View Post
Sounds like we will be ok, I just remember one of the guys who worked at the hotel I was staying at told me how beautiful it was in the springtime and a great time to visit, but when i asked about snakes and spiders, he told me that's when they all start coming out and chances of running into the snakes or seeing spiders about are much higher.
I totally get it about mis-conceptions, people still ask me occasionally if we see many igloos where we live, lol! But, I lived in Oklahoma for a year and there really were snakes and spiders everywhere! My girls are rather paranoid of venomous spiders, so I want it to be a good experience for them and re-assure them they don't have to worry.
We plan to visit the Charleston area, the plantations around, Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island and I'm not sure where else. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies!!
Susan
Stay out of the woods, you will be fine.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Where exactly do you plan to visit?

Snakes are not slithering past the shops on King Street en masse or sunning themselves at the beach....
Why just last July I saw one buying an extra skinny latte at Starbucks on King
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area