Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 PM

7 posts, read 6,788 times

Advertisements

So I'm graduating this May from Iowa State in Industrial Technology and am looking to get out of Iowa. Me and some buddies got back from a spring break trip to Charleston and Myrtle, and I have to say, I fell in love with Charleston. There seems to be so much to do outdoors and with the nightlife. Plus the weather beats everything Iowa has to offer. I'm just wondering about job opportunities down there for engineering, and the best places to live. We stayed at a buddies relatives place in My. Pleasant, but that town seems a little pricey for a recent grad of 23.

I like to hunt, fish, hike, dive, and am into offroading, motorcycling, and racing, so a reasonable rental with a garage would be preferred if that is even a thing down there. Originally from the middle of Iowa from smaller ag towns of around 50k...so the beach life of Charleston would be a welcome change for me I think.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Last edited by jibjab26; 03-22-2015 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibjab26 View Post
So I'm graduating this May from Iowa State in Industrial Technology and am looking to get out of Iowa. Me and some buddies got back from a spring break trip to Charleston and Myrtle, and I have to say, I fell in love with Charleston. There seems to be so much to do outdoors and with the nightlife. Plus the weather beats everything Iowa has to offer. I'm just wondering about job opportunities down there for engineering, and the best places to live. We stayed at a buddies relatives place in My. Pleasant, but that town seems a little pricey for a recent grad of 23.

I like to hunt, fish, hike, dive, and am into offroading, motorcycling, and racing, so a reasonable rental with a garage would be preferred if that is even a thing down there. Originally from the middle of Iowa from smaller ag towns of around 50k...so the beach life of Charleston would be a welcome change for me I think.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Single parking spots downtown were selling for 100k last month (no joke). Cost of living is all relative, it seems like Iowa is a fairly inexpensive place to live compared to Charleston. In the last couple of years, the area has grown in popularity, and rent has sky rocketed. The closer to the beaches and downtown, the more $$$$. I would say the avg 1bd apt in a well maintained/safe area in Charleston County (not including North Charleston) hovers around mid $800s/month. So having a roomate makes things more affordable. Tons of places to explore, it all comes down to what you can afford per month.

Engineering: Definitely check out Boeing

Last edited by Chs2014; 03-22-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 PM

I plan on doing some roommate scouting on Craigslist beforehand. As far as cost goes, compared to the college towns up here( Ames, Des Moines, Iowa City) apartment rentals seem to be about the same or a little lower( again Craigslist junkie). As far as safety goes, I'm not entirely worried as I have a CCW and plan on getting the SC reciprocity if I move. However, coming from Iowa where we have relatively low crime I can see how there are some sketchy areas. While I was there I didn't really see any but then again I was downtown, on Isle of Palms, and in MP.

Only thing here is most business is in a boring college town where the students make up the majority of the population, or its super rural with no real amenities or things to do besides relatively bad hunting seasons and marginal fishing lakes.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM

320 posts, read 353,596 times
Try looking into some of the outlying towns before jumping right into CHS. Rent is a little bit more affordable depending on where you're at; you may be able to find a place that is pretty linear with CHS.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 988 times
There are several areas to check out outside of Charleston/Mount Pleasant. Goose Creek and Moncks Corner are closer to more of the outdoor activities you are into - except for the beaches. James Island or Johns Island may be good choices too, less crowded but convenient to downtown and Folly Beach. It all depends on budget and how close you really need to be to various amenities.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM

320 posts, read 353,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountPBroker View Post
There are several areas to check out outside of Charleston/Mount Pleasant. Goose Creek and Moncks Corner are closer to more of the outdoor activities you are into - except for the beaches. James Island or Johns Island may be good choices too, less crowded but convenient to downtown and Folly Beach. It all depends on budget and how close you really need to be to various amenities.
Oh yeah I wasn't thinking about John's Island. My dad lives out there and has target practice right off the river all the time. Not too far from the busy area.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 PM

I kind of want to be close to downtown just so I can hang with the college crowd a bit more, but I will also look at other areas as well. James island looks pretty laid back which is more of what I'm leaning toward. I'll be bringing my motorcycle down anyway so I don't expect traveling to downtown or the beach to be too bad.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Jibjab, what's your budget?

Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 PM

Monthly with a roommate, $500-800. That's also very job dependent as well but that's about what I'd be fine with paying. Housing cost will pretty much dictate where I live.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
There's 15 places for rent downtown $1600 or less and 2 bdrms or more on the MLS. None are the new, glitzy places but some are ok and maybe even "charming". There will be more to be found on Craigslist and through individual property managers. I think you could find something downtown though it will be a process searching out the places and finding the right roommate. Message me an email and I'll send you that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area