Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 AM

21 posts, read 31,768 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are very interested in the Charleston/Summerville/Mt. Pleasant area, but only based on what we have heard from people and seen on the internet. We are visiting the area on March 8-9, and I was wondering what you guys would suggest we do and see while we are there. We have appointments with a couple of apartments to go tour them, but otherwise we don't have anything planned. We want to REALLY get a feel for the towns and what it would be like to live there, so we want to drive around the neighborhoods and things like that. Are there any "Main Street" areas we should make sure to visit? Shopping centers? We are not too interested in "touristy" things, just want to see what day-to-day life is like. Maybe even a good local restaurant to eat at.

If everything goes well and we like the area, we want to move down in October/November. Definitely before the winter, because I can NOT be in New Jersey for another winter.

I appreciate any suggestions and help! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
What is it that you like to do?

Each of the smaller outlaying towns have little mainstreet areas, Mt Pleasant, Summerville, N. Charleston, Moncks Corner, Etc..

Downtown Charleston has lots of shopping not just along any 'main street' area.......

There are lots of Restaurants mostly based in southern comfort food cooking and local seafood......

Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM

We are mainly looking into Summerville and Mt. Pleasant, just from what we have heard, so we will definitely check out the main street areas there.

We like to do mainly anything, but mostly eating. We actually plan our vacations based on what restaurants we want to go to sometimes. Is that sad?

We would definitely like a restaurant with "local" food, and we both love seafood.

When we move there (hopefully) we will be more interested in the entertainment side of things, but for now we are just trying to figure out which neighborhoods are worth taking a drive around and things like that.

Are there any really nice parks we could look at? Like I mentioned, I just want an idea as to what "everyday life" is like down there, so there will probably be a lot of driving and watching. Suggest anything that might sell me on the area!

Thanks so much!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyyitssara View Post
We are mainly looking into Summerville and Mt. Pleasant, just from what we have heard, so we will definitely check out the main street areas there.

We like to do mainly anything, but mostly eating. We actually plan our vacations based on what restaurants we want to go to sometimes. Is that sad?

We would definitely like a restaurant with "local" food, and we both love seafood.

When we move there (hopefully) we will be more interested in the entertainment side of things, but for now we are just trying to figure out which neighborhoods are worth taking a drive around and things like that.

Are there any really nice parks we could look at? Like I mentioned, I just want an idea as to what "everyday life" is like down there, so there will probably be a lot of driving and watching. Suggest anything that might sell me on the area!

Thanks so much!
Hubby and I rented a cabin at Givhans State Park when we visited - we LOVED it! I think it was $68 a night, full kitchen, screened porch overlooking the Edisto, A/C, fireplace, 2 BR, bar-b-q .... not far from Summerville ....

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Default Kicken Chicken

I gotta ask Ol' Tom about the Kicken Chicken. When we were down, we tried on two different nights to pop in there for a bite and the place was so packed there was no where to park. What's the draw? Is the food that good or just really cheap? We ended up going to a cute Italian place (The Red Pepper) across the street that had very good food but had close to NY prices.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Hubby and I rented a cabin at Givhans State Park when we visited - we LOVED it! I think it was $68 a night, full kitchen, screened porch overlooking the Edisto, A/C, fireplace, 2 BR, bar-b-q .... not far from Summerville ....
That sounds awesome! I will definitely do some research on that now. We are staying in Myrtle Beach for most of the week because of our timeshare, but we are looking to spend 1-2 nights in Summerville or Charleston.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions also!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I gotta ask Ol' Tom about the Kicken Chicken. When we were down, we tried on two different nights to pop in there for a bite and the place was so packed there was no where to park. What's the draw? Is the food that good or just really cheap? We ended up going to a cute Italian place (The Red Pepper) across the street that had very good food but had close to NY prices.
OK, the Kickin Chicken is good food that isn't expensive and they have a great little bar in warmer weather a lot of people sit on the patio.....

The Red Pepper is good authentic Italian food, but their prices have started to climb quite a bit over the past few years.....

Another place would be Oscar's but they are a little expensive also and if you want really expensive but five stars go to the Woodlands in Summerville.....

If you want good Greek food that is inexpensive go to the little Greek Restaurant in Downtown Summerville.......

Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyyitssara View Post

Thanks so much!
Summerville has a great little park called Azeala park with several walking trails and a couple of Gazerbos and Tennis courts....

There are some other little parks around town as well, and a small paved walking trail (Sawmill Branch Trail) in Summerville as well....

Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Summerville has a great little park called Azeala park with several walking trails and a couple of Gazerbos and Tennis courts....

There are some other little parks around town as well, and a small paved walking trail (Sawmill Branch Trail) in Summerville as well....

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to my visit.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Check out the Charleston City Paper - Restaurants | Music | Events | Arts | News for upcoming events while you are in town.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area