Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM

38 posts, read 138,015 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move to charleston for a while now but the issue is that I am a hairstylist and when I look for salons in the area I see high prices and low standards. Everyone on this forum seems to have this same problem.even the most respected salons seem to be lacking. Aim looking for a salon in the area that is more of a hair studio. High energy exciting and great clarinet service NO DAYSPAS. With haircuts being in the range of 40 to 80 $ and a good education program because I am an educator. Is there a clace like this in the area? If not then would there be a reason for me to create a salon and acedemy that has these traits? Where would I put it?

Also I do a lot of natural finger styling. Easy to do and maintain. Soft tosseled undone. Is there a market for this in charleston or is it all big and done up?

Thanks for the help
Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM

291 posts, read 547,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
...even the most respected salons seem to be lacking. Aim looking for a salon in the area that is more of a hair studio. High energy exciting and great clarinet service NO DAYSPAS...
A hairdo AND instrument repair?!? You are the multi-tasker now aren't you?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 138,015 times
Lol I'm a man of many talents

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Visit during Fashion Week & network. You should be able to get your answers a lot better than on this board. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,297 times
Default Still looking?

Nick,
It's been 6 months since your post but I just ran across it. We've got a great boutique salon here in Beaufort that is owned by a guy who came down from his salon in Harvard Square in Boston. He'll be moving out at the end of the month and would be a great spot if you're interested in starting your own business. Folks would be used to the high quality already. You find a posting for the space on Craigslist at Boutique Salon fully upfitted (http://hiltonhead.craigslist.org/off/2560291882.html - broken link). Let me know if you want more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
I have been wanting to move to charleston for a while now but the issue is that I am a hairstylist and when I look for salons in the area I see high prices and low standards. Everyone on this forum seems to have this same problem.even the most respected salons seem to be lacking. Aim looking for a salon in the area that is more of a hair studio. High energy exciting and great clarinet service NO DAYSPAS. With haircuts being in the range of 40 to 80 $ and a good education program because I am an educator. Is there a clace like this in the area? If not then would there be a reason for me to create a salon and acedemy that has these traits? Where would I put it?

Also I do a lot of natural finger styling. Easy to do and maintain. Soft tosseled undone. Is there a market for this in charleston or is it all big and done up?

Thanks for the help
Nick

Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,260 times
You may want to try Downtown Charleston,SC. Especially King Street,Meeting, they are higher rent and another area of interest is Mount P area, and Danielle Island all Upper class and higher rent. Charleston has more people wanting the gaudy nails. If you are looking for clients with class then you need to go where the money is!!!!! The outlying areas higher rent not North Charleston, Ladson, Lincolnville, and inner city areas. A majority of your wealth is Danielle Island,James Island, Mount P,some parts of Summerville,and over towards the Battery side and 4 corners of Law in Charleston itself.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,879 times
I know it's an old post. But, since moving here I've tried 7 different salons all over Downtown, West Ashley and Mount Pleasant. Excellent stylists are hard to come by around here. I would love a place that had was capable of achieving consistently great results and having a specialty like what you're doing is awesome. Plus, with the humidity the girls can use a bit of natural styling to get them through the summer.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,260 times
Thumbs up Laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown2you View Post
a hairdo and instrument repair?!? You are the multi-tasker now aren't you?
lol!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,110 times
I have recently relocated to Charleston from Maryland having owned one of Baltimore's top salons. It is quite a different world down here. I can sympathize with you finding the general lack of professionalism, and or business sense found in many Charleston salons. There are some talented, dedicated stylists down here you have to go through trial and error to seek them out with many being national educators. Most stylists down here are booth renters (I don't get it).I don't know where you are located now but getting you license transferred to SC is a feat within itself, with most cases having to take your written and practical state boards again. I have been searching for a location in downtown Charleston and it has been most diffucult to say the least. Trying to re-fit plumbing in old buildings is nearly impossible or comes with a $20,000 price tag.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM

212 posts, read 492,622 times
$56-76 dollars for a haircut!!!! Wowza. I better get a second job to keep up with my hair when we get there. Guess highlights are out of the question for another $100 or so. Thats just simply crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area