Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
They use a different system down here you have to switch you phone over to it....
Called Verizon with your advice and they turned that theory down.
Same exact cellphones for the entire USA.
No difference system, no different settings.

As usual all depends upon the towers, their proximity and numbers and water masses as well. Creeks, rivers equals bad reception, due to a water mass does not transmit signals and we have a lake in the back of our home and a creek across the street in back of our neighbors homes (boat launches).

Oh well.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

160 posts, read 311,616 times
We got a discount from Sprint because my Fiance works at Boeing. Other cell providers in the area are giving Boeing discounts as well. I am not sure who has the best coverage but we got a pretty good discount on our plan. I would call a few places. There are boeing discounts for MANY services. I know ADT is one security provider offering discounts.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM

18 posts, read 67,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Inside the Boeing facility, Verizon is the only service that works. They put a special antenna on top of the building just for that.

That's not true at all. The 'system' is called DAS and Boeing is all AT&T, unfortunately. Part of the contract when Boeing switched over to all AT&T was for AT&T to come in and install DAS. It's basically an antenna system for coverage inside the buildings. Right now AT&T is also installing their 2G and 3G DAS in the new 30 building. 4G will be in towards the end of the year.

I have AT&T as my blackberry is company provided. AT&T is TERRIBLE down here and I can see a tower from my house. My wife has Verizon and her coverage is also spotty from where we live. We are right on the edge of the coverage maps, live in Legend Oaks in Summerville. If you go to the service provider and look at their coverage maps they give you a pretty good idea.

I am often driving between all the Boeing buildings and always have trouble with dropped calls or a terrible signal.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcat View Post
We got a discount from Sprint because my Fiance works at Boeing. Other cell providers in the area are giving Boeing discounts as well. I am not sure who has the best coverage but we got a pretty good discount on our plan. I would call a few places. There are boeing discounts for MANY services. I know ADT is one security provider offering discounts.
I always receive a 20% discount for the corporation I work for from Verizon. Whether the corporation/organization is in a specific area of not, you receive the discount. You can work for Boeing in Seattle, but work from the home in Texas and still get the discount.

Discount or not, bad cellular reception is bad reception and I would give back my 20% in an instant.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,573 times
I would go with Verizon.
One thing that could have helped your wife's reception was to dial *228, then option 2. This basically rescans for local towers and improves reception.

As far as reception inside Boeing, Verizon works but because of all the massive steel, it will cause interference and there may be spots where you will have bad reception.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Default *228

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlock View Post
I would go with Verizon.
One thing that could have helped your wife's reception was to dial *228, then option 2. This basically rescans for local towers and improves reception.
Thanks for the info... about rescaning.

Will be trying it out in the house and see.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,151 times
I use virgin mobile,runs on sprint network. Have not had any problems with service anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area