Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 18,540 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

((I'm a former Tennessean who now lives in Seattle...!))

My family is considering a move to either the Daniel Island or Mount Pleasant areas, as my husband considers a position with a company located on Daniel Island.

About how long would it take for him to drive between work & home if we lived in Mount Pleasant? There seem to be an abundance of lovely subdivisions in Mount Pleasant, and I am wondering which, if any, family-oriented (2 kiddos under age 3) subdivisions would be easiest to get to from Daniel Island. We are pretty spoiled with our current commute time being under 5 minutes here in Seattle, and we'd really like to stay under 15-20 minutes commute during "rush hour" if possible.

Thanks so much for your help... & have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
It's less than 15 minutes during "non-rush" hours but that time could easily increase to 45 minutes and beyond if 526 slows to a crawl and depending upon which parts of Mt. P you'd be travelling to/from during rush hour. The less you'd have to be on 17 during rush hour, the better.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 69,301 times
Yes, it definitely depends on where in Mt. Pleasant you'd be living. Usually if you are coming from one of the subdivisions off of Long Point Road your commute would be around 15 minutes. When there are accidents on 526 they are also more likely to back up traffic in North Charleston as opposed to the parts of 526 around Daniel Island, however if there is an accident closer to Daniel Island/Clements Ferry Rd traffic can get quite heavy. All in all though, I wouldn't worry too much about a commute from Mt. Pleasant to Daniel Island. Mt. Pleasant to North Charleston/West Ashley or vice versa would be much more of a problem.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM

22 posts, read 128,507 times
Talking Commute time to Daniel Island from Mount Pleasant

As folks have said, it depends where you are in Mount Pleasant. Another consideration may be how much time you may spend in your vehicle if you live on Daniel Island and your service providers, such as shopping, recreation, physicians, are in Mount Pleasant. While these things exist on the Island, many who live on the Island do go to Mount Pleasant for these things.

I hope that your move goes well. I visited your city two summers ago and had a tremendous time!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 78,050 times
How long would a commute be from dorchester road area to mount pleasant vs summerville??? thanks so much!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM

From the Dorchester Rd. corridor to Mt. Pleasant? You'd either get onto 526 from Dorchester, or Ashley Phosphate to I-26/526. Normally 20 minutes or so to Mt. P from the Dorchester corridor but rush hour could add another 45 minutes to it easily. You're not "locked in" to using 526 either, which gives you another option if facing rush hour traffic or accidents.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:34 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,455 times
Depends on where on Dorchester Road you are talking about. Dorchester is a long road. I will pick a central location however to give you an idea. Dorchester Road and Ashley Phosphate would be roughly about 30-40 minutes to Mount Pleasant. To Summerville it would be around 20.

Last edited by scjj; 07-25-2007 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: added

Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 PM

12 posts, read 78,050 times
Wow - I mapped it out and only about 20 miles or less - and could take about 40 minutes in commute time??? Traffic must be bad.
How about from the central dorcheseter rd to danile island - any better??

thanks so much

Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Tha 40 minutes was an estimate for "rush hour" time. Normally it's 20 or less. From Dorchester Rd. to Daniel Island would be less than 10-15 minutes during normal traffic.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM

5 posts, read 18,540 times
Thanks for the info - very helpful! I am sure more questions will arise if we determine that moving to Charleston is a definite thing. I appreciate having folks who can help out with great insights & ideas. Also, as a southern gal who is in Seattle..as much as Seattle is great and a beautiful city (in the summers, especially!)... I miss the warmth and kindness of southerners!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area