U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM

48 posts, read 78,719 times

Advertisements

Hello Guys,

New to forum but really appreciate all that we have learned from you guys and hope I can contribute to the board after we are living there and know more.

I am an LPN getting my RN BSN in a few weeks. We are planning our move to Charleston this Summer. I have been checking out all the Hospitals and Medical Centers in Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville etc. But I have had a hard time getting call backs from anyone from HR about if they hire new grad RN's or what they look for etc.

I have been an LPN for 7 years and have experience in all kinds of care inclding acute care and have spent the last year and a half either in a OB/GYN clinic and currently in Mom/Baby of labor and delivery.

Which of the facilities in the area hire new grads? Will my clinic and hospital experience by a plus for me?

Thanks for your replies!

- Carla
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,595,120 times
Carla,

This area is flush with new grads due to MUSC(Medical University of SC) being a local hospital, most experienced nurses are going the contract route until they can find an opening, others have posted their experiences, do a search you may find some of your answers in others threads...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM

4,737 posts, read 8,019,694 times
This was a problem when we lived in Arizona a few years ago and it's a problem here in SE Michigan where we live now, even with U of M Medical Center, one of the foremost hospital systems in the country, literally right in our back yard. (And Phoenix had umpteen hospitals, a Mayo Clinic, and a Cancer Centers of America facility). It seems that the entire country is flush with new grad RNs and as a result, hospitals are being extremely picky about hiring those with experience only...because they can! In your case, however, with your years of experience as an LPN, I can't understand why being a new grad RN would be a problem. LPNs are nurses too, and I have worked with many LPNs who did circles around some RNs in terms of quality of care and basic knowledge. When I was a new grad RN twenty years ago, I was able to pick which hospital in our area I wanted to work at, and they were even offering sign-on bonuses...to new grads! Times have sure changed. Nursing shortage? Says who? Hmm...

I think that Ole Tomcat may have a point, you may have to work agency for a while, or even long term care, especially if the area already has a lot of locals who are new grads. I have several years of med/surg hospital nursing experience under my belt, but because I took five years off between 2005 and 2010 to be a SAHM to our kids for a while, I found that when I attempted to get back into the field, all I could get was hospice nursing for about a year and now work in a LTC/dementia facility, which I don't hate, but I would rather work in a hospital setting. I guess we have to be flexible right now and wait to see what happens in nursing over the next several years.

Last edited by canudigit; 03-03-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM

313 posts, read 645,446 times
If you do not already live in Charleston it is going to be very difficult for you to find a job beforehand. There are already a ton of new grads living here that you are competing against... they are not going to go through the hassle of interviewing someone from out of the area.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks Guys.

Not being there and finding a position is the scariest thing about moving.

I have heard and seen about some facilities and units preferring new grads for cost or retainment reasons. So, I want to gather as much info as possible.

I am hoping to sort of vacation/research visit a few weeks before moving so maybe I can set up some interviews during that week.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

One thing that will help you initially is that Colorado and South Carolina are both nursing license compact states. You probably know this already, but in case you don't, that means that you can work in SC with your CO license for the time being, so you won't have to worry about applying for a SC license right away. We are planning a move to the Atlanta area in a couple of years, and since Michigan and Georgia aren't compact states, I will have to have my Georgia RN license in place before I can even look for employment there.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,220,508 times
From my viewpoint, new grads get the nod over experienced RNs in the Charleston area.

Call backs are not high on the priority list of most hospital HR departments around here either. The only thing I have ever heard from an HR rep is to apply online. That's it...they typically don't even want to talk to you. They get so many online apps that they DON'T HAVE TO "waste their time" actually talking to applicants beforehand. Isn't that something?

Best of luck to you. You probably will be able to find a job faster than RNs who have 10-15 yrs experience applying for the same jobs.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM

255 posts, read 546,260 times
To the OP, you may want to try Florence to pursue your RN career. Florence has two hospitals (Mcleod Regional Medical Center and Carolinas Hospital System). Florence is about two hours from Charleston and about 45-50 minutes to Myrtle Beach. By being in Florence and with your BSN you have a greater chance at obtaining a position in Florence than being in the Charleston area where it is swamped with MUSC and Charleston Southern University nursing grads.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM

I get several emails a week trying to recruit me for travel nursing, and the only opportunities that I have ever seen in SC were in Columbia. That leads me to believe that there is a need for RNs there or they wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar to recruit traveling nurses from other states.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Hey Guys,

To clarify, when you say go contract, do you mean like placement through Nursefinders etc as PRN, or permanent placement through someone?

- Carla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area